Chapter Fifteen.

~O~

Niall woke up, head pounding and tongue feeling like sand paper, and his phone was ringing loudly, the vibrations pulsing against his bedside table obnoxiously.

He didn’t remember even getting in bed.

“’Lo,” Niall grumbled, his voice rough and throat scratchy as he tried to cough the sleep out of it. Why was he even awake?

He remembered bits and pieces of the night before, but mainly, he recalled Zayn’s rejection and all of the messages he left for the other lad.

How embarrassing.

The phone line was silent for a while, and Niall almost hung up, but he could hear someone on the other line, breathing, which was kind of creepy, but his hungover mind didn’t really register that.

And then, “Did you mean it?”

Niall didn’t hesitate with his answer.

“Yes.”

“Let me in then, tosser. I don’t have a key anymore.”

Niall jumped out of bed, head spinning as he moved too quickly, and he threw on some clothes as fast as he could before gulping down a glass of water that sat on his bedside table (courtesy of Sean), along with an Advil.

He couldn’t even believe that this was actually happening and had to pinch himself to make sure he was awake and not dreaming.

After a full minute of aimlessly standing in his room while pinching himself, Niall realized that Zayn had told him to let him inside, which meant…holy shit, Zayn was here?

Niall stumbled to the front door, throwing it open as if scared Zayn would have left, and he let out a great heaving sigh when he saw that Zayn was, in fact, standing there still.

And then, he stared.

He just stared at Zayn as if it were the first time ever seeing him, and he took in every aspect of the dark-haired lad’s appearance, from his still-present steel-toed construction boots to the peak of his sculpted cheekbones.

“Nialler?” Zayn asked tentatively, looking at the blonde with questioning eyes, and Niall thought for a moment that Zayn was studying him just as intently, but then, “What happened to your forehead?”

Niall stood there dumbstruck because he didn’t think anything happened to his forehead, or at least he didn’t notice anything different?

“Nothing?” Niall questioned backed, confusion evident as he did a little smirk/sneer/headshake and tilted his head to the side so that he looked like a golden lab puppy trying to find the ball that was right in front of it.

Zayn raised his eyebrows, and grabbed Niall by the wrist, tugging him into the apartment and holy shit, Zayn was touching him voluntarily and what in the world did Niall do to get this sort of reaction?

Niall stumbled into the bathroom after the dark-haired lad and followed Zayn’s eyes to look into the mirror, and oh lord, no, what in the world, how was this his life?

“Did someone hurt you?” Zayn asked seriously, his voice low and almost dangerous, making Niall think that maybe he actually could hold up his ‘badboy’ persona.

So, Niall just laughed because seriously? He hadn’t even left the flat for more than ten minutes in the past five days, which if he thought about it was really quite sad, and there was no way he could have gotten in an actual fight because let’s face it, he’d run away if he were caught in that type of situation.