Chapter Nine.

~O~

No matter how much he tried to avoid it, Zayn had joined their group. He and Louis had exchanged phone numbers and texted constantly. Even Harry had welcomed the dark-haired lad into their friendship group with open arms, which was unusual, especially seeing how close Louis and Zayn were becoming.

To say that it made Niall edgy was the understatement of the year.

He couldn’t stand being around Zayn and Louis and Harry. Liam was okay because, well, because Liam already knew about Zayn and Niall’s arrangement. Louis and Harry didn’t, though, and Niall preferred to keep it that way.

He just kind of wanted to keep his and Zayn’s physical relationship away from the attachment that came with telling friends and other people; if they were just hook up buddies, it didn’t make sense to make it into anything more than that by telling other people.

Of course, he didn’t quite understand why he got this little tightening feeling in his chest whenever Zayn and Louis whispered to each other or when Harry cuddled into Zayn, no, he just chalked it up to annoyance at the dark-haired lad for worming his way into his friend’s hearts.

It did make things easier, though, that Zayn got along with his friends, especially because it meant they got along more at home, and Niall was able to invite his friends over more often without getting worried about what Zayn would do.

Niall found it slightly odd that Zayn hadn’t invited any of his flings over as of late; before it had been constant, a slew of willing sexual partners, and Niall didn’t think Zayn would stop just because of him, like shit, the bloke was a sexual monster, there was absolutely no way Niall would be able to satisfy all of his needs. Regardless, he didn’t ask about it and found he didn’t really want to know if Zayn was getting some anywhere else (he hoped Zayn wasn’t but he wouldn’t admit that to anyone, not even himself).

It was a relief- although he didn’t quite recognize the feeling- when Louis, Harry, and Liam were all busy for the night, leaving Zayn and Niall to their own devices for once.

Niall couldn’t quite remember the last time they had a night truly to themselves, not including the late nights- but those were saved for sex and more sex, and he was- not admittedly- excited at the prospect of having Zayn to himself.

Zayn seemed to be on the same wavelength because he had made dinner (a special occasion indeed) and it was some fucking delicious curry dish that had Niall moaning and going back for seconds and thirds, reminding both boys of the night previous, but that’s an unneeded digression.

“So, what do you want to do tonight?” Niall asked, settling back in his chair as he eyed Zayn from across the table. He should have found it weird, this comfortable scene they were in, sitting and eating dinner together when just weeks before they had been arguing constantly and hating each other’s guts.

Zayn looked at him right back, his trademark smirk in place, but instead of getting annoyed by the look, Niall found himself wondering what could have the other lad so amused and thinking itwaskindasexy.

“Well…” Zayn began, and yeah, he definitely had a plan and Niall wasn’t sure if he would like it because the last time Zayn started a sentence like that it had ended with Niall tied to the bed and in some awkward sex position Zayn wanted to try (he would admit the sex had been good, well, amazing, although when was it not) that left Niall aching and sore for a good week. Louis even commented on it, asking if Niall had gone to the gym or something, which prompted Zayn to choke on his drink and Niall to blush bright red. It was a never-ending circle by then because then Liam was eyeing them knowingly and Louis was completely lost and begging to be let in on the secret, to which none of them said a word.

But anyway, Niall nodded at Zayn, indicating he should continue and just spit out his idea.

“Do you smoke?” Zayn asked suddenly, and it was far from what Niall had been thinking, so far in fact that the blonde kind of sat there dumbfounded and looking really doped up (and to think this was how he acted without even getting high).

Niall was sure Zayn wasn’t talking about cigarettes because the other lad knew very well he didn’t smoke fags, which left one option that Zayn could be talking about, and well, Niall did enjoy smoking…on occasion (very rare occasions).

So, Niall answered as much, “On occasion.”

And Zayn nodded, still surveying the blonde in the little way he did that was completely unreadable but made Niall squirm because he felt as if Zayn were looking right into his soul and reading his mind.

“Do you want to?”

And, of course, because Niall had a death wish, and a problem saying no to Zayn, he found himself smoking weed for the first time since Sean had left.

"Can you light? I’m scared of lighters?" Niall questioned, holding the piece of glass carefully between his fingers.

He sat cross-legged in front of Zayn, and surprisingly, the other bloke didn’t make fun of him for asking. Instead, he nodded, his dark orbs glimmering a little with some unrecognizable emotion.

"Sure," Zayn nodded, scooting immeasurably closer to the blonde, who sat still as he felt their legs press together a little, the warmth of Zayn’s body comfortable and nice. He could smell Zayn’s scent, and if he leaned in a little to sniff him, well, he was normal, seriously.

"You ready?"

Niall nodded, lifting the piece up to his lips as Zayn brought the lighter close and flicked it on. The blonde lad inhaled heavily, sucking until he couldn’t suck anymore, or breathe really. 

He held the smoke in, feeling it settle in his throat and lungs, and wow, it felt so fucking nice. Everything felt so fucking nice: Zayn, his body, his mind, Zayn, and Zayn, and Zayn, and ZaynZaynZayn.

After he held the air in for a decent amount of time, he took his free hand- the one not holding the little glass piece- and wrapped it around Zayn’s neck, pulling the dark-haired boy close and pressing their lips together as he exhaled the smoke.

Surprisingly, it was Zayn who pulled back first, leaving the taste of weed and Zayn on Niall’s lips.

They passed the pipe back and forth a few more times, shot-gunning occasionally, but really just enjoying the way their legs were pressed together and the beginnings of the drug that was starting to work its way through their veins.

Before when he smoked, Niall had gotten really hyper- a fact that Sean made fun of him quite often because seriously, who got hyper after getting high?- but this time, Niall just got hungry.

And no, it wasn’t the needy stomach, munchies type hungry, it was the unquenchable horny hungry.

Like shit, he just needed and there was Zayn and the other boy felt so good and he was so close, but Niall couldn’t really form any coherent thoughts.

He’s beautiful, was the only thought really running through his mind, and he didn’t even realize he had said it out loud until Zayn replied.

“So are you.”

And then, Niall closed the space between them by throwing his body forward, glad that the pipe was safely on the table and out of his way because all he could think of was ZaynZaynZayn and needneedneed and wantwantwant.

He ignored the fluttering in his stomach and the tingles that started wherever Zayn touched him and just let his body melt into Zayn’s, perfectly content to feel him in every way possible.

It was so easy, being with Zayn, and usually sex with Zayn was rough and dominant and satisfying in every sexual way, but this, this time was different, something was different, and Niall wanted so desperately to blame the weed and he hoped it was the weed, but Zayn was touching him carefully now, his fingers soothing and his lips caressing and it was so different from before- better, almost- and it satisfied a part of Niall that he didn’t even know needed satisfying.

When it was all over, and they had finally made their way onto a bed, Niall found himself wanting more- more Zayn and more Zayn and more Zayn- and he couldn’t remember the last time he had fallen asleep without the other lad’s breath softly lulling him into dreamland, and he found himself not wanting to fall asleep in any other way.

~O~