Chapter 2: The School Alarm

Then bang.

Everyone gasped as a gunshot echoed from the girls' washroom. Everyone panicked and ran in different directions.

************

"I believe Max has taken what you kids call a "selfie"... A dumb word for a wonderful photographic tradition. And Max... has a gift." Mr. Jefferson said. "Of course, as you all know, the photo portrait has been popular since the early eighteen-hundreds. Your generation was not the first to use images for selfie-expression." Mr. Jefferson smirked. "Sorry. I couldn't resist." He said and cleared his throat. "The point remains that the portraiture has always been a vital aspect of art, and photography, for as long as it's been around." Mr. Jefferson looked at Max.

"Now Max, since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" Mr. Jefferson said. "I'm sorry but I really have to use the bathroom." Max spoke quickly. Mr. Jefferson smiled. "Nice try, Max. But you're not going to get away that easy. We can talk more after class." He said.

"Is there anybody here who knows their stuff?" Mr. Jefferson said. I glanced at Max. Who was oddly, for whatever reason, examining her right hand. "Now you're totally stuck in the Retro Zone. Sad face." Victoria said towards Max.

Mr. Jefferson smiled. "Very good, Victoria." He said.

************

"Can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" Mr. Jefferson asked. Max smiled confidently. "The Daguerreian Process." She said. "Invented by a French painter named... Louis Daguerre. Around eighteen-thirty."

Mr. Jefferson smiled. "Somebody has been reading as well as posing. Nice work, Max." He said. Victoria glared at her and scoffed. Damn. Max is quiet as hell, but she does her work. Pretty rad.

"The Daguerreian Process made portraiture hugely popular, mainly because it gave the subjects clear defined features." Mr. Jefferson said. He continued talking until the bell finally rang.

"And guys don't forget the deadline to submit a photo in the "Everyday Heroes" contest. I'll fly out with the winner to San Francisco where you'll be feted by the art world." Uh-huh's and yep's echoed through the room. "It's great exposure and it can kickstart a career in photography." He added. "So Stella and Allyssa, get it together. Taylor, don't hide, I'm still waiting for your entry too. And yes Max, I see you pretending not to see me." And with that, Mr. Jefferson went to his desk.

Max quickly stood up and quickly walked to the door. Oddly quicker than normal.

I ran my hands through my hair stood up. "Daniel?" Kate said. "What's up?" I asked as I looked at her. She nodded toward my skateboard under the table. "Your skateboard." That makes four times I almost forgot my skateboard in Mr. Jefferson's classroom. Making four times Kate had to remind me.

Once I had it in hand, I nodded at her. "Thanks..." A small smile curved in her lips and nodded back.

Max was oddly hurrying for the door. "I see you Max Caulfield." Mr. Jefferson said to her. "Don't even think about leaving here until we talk about your entry." Max sighed and turned around. As Max and I walked past each other, Mr. Jefferson said, "Daniel, if I catch you skating around the halls with that thing again..." "You won't." I assured him. I pushed the door open and entered the halls of Blackwell Academy. Filled with a bunch other students attending the school.

Down the hall is a missing person poster. Rachel Amber has been gone for months now. I remember when she was the most popular person here in BlackHell. She was also really hot. What can I say? There are a lot of hot girls at Blackwell.

Actually, from time to time, Rachel and a friend of hers would hang out with me and the guys at the park. But that was a while ago now. I don't really remember her friend either.

I leaned against the wall and popped my earbuds in and turned on some music.

After a few minutes of chilling and gathering my thoughts, I left to my next class. Then Nathan Prescott suspiciously entered the girls' washroom. I don't know what he's doing, but it's fucking weird as hell. I shrugged it off and walked to my next class.

"Then let me inform you, skating is strictly not aloud on school grounds—" I sighed and suddenly trailed off when a blue-haired girl entered the building. I watched as she glanced around before entering the girls' washroom.

For some reason, there was something very familiar about her.

"Are you listening Daniel?" Principal Wells asked. I looked at him. "I'm sorry, what, bro?" I asked. "I said if you continue to do so, I'll have to send Mr. Madsen to come and get you." I rolled my eyes. "Ah. Right. Madsen... everyone's favorite security guard." "I don't appreciate the sarcasm either, Mr. Connors." The principal said. I sighed. "Okay. Fine. I promise I won't—"

Suddenly, the school alarm went off. All the students grabbed their stuff and walked to the doors. "We'll discuss this later, Daniel. Go join everyone else outside." Principal Wells said. I saw the blue-haired girl exit the girls' washroom. Looking quite shaken, but pissed. I watched as she quickly made her way to the doors and exit the school.

Nathan came out shortly after. What the hell were they doing in there?

Just as I was about to make my way to the doors, "You there! Don't just stand there, move it!" David Madsen. The strict as hell security guard I was talking about. I simply nodded and left with the bunch of students leaving the school lobby.