Chapter 39: A Talk With Mark

Max appeared in the chair again from that disgusting moment with Mark.

Oh Jesus... I can't believe that happened. So sick.

There was now a broken vial on the floor from when Max kicked the trolley. She looked over at it.

Okay, I broke those vials when I kicked the trolley...

Which was now sitting in front of her with the disturbing pictures of her. And the red binder which they would soon be inserted into. Marking another "subject" for Mark's collection of binders filled with other pictures. There were more photos of Max. And they weren't the disturbing black and white ones.

Whoa... I am definitely more awake in this photo... I could try this one...

Max leaned forward and focused on the photo.

This might work. Please work...

***********

Mark had taken a picture of Max with his camera sitting on a tripod.

"I'm getting some spectacular images here, Max." He told her. "Yes, Victoria would kill to be in your place, but... she doesn't understand our... connection." Mark gestured toward an unconscious Victoria sitting at the couch.

"You're... the winner, Max. I choose you... you're portrait." He said.

"Fuck you." Max told him.

"You're trying too hard. I know you're scared... You all have the same doe-eyed look when you wake up here... replaced by fear as you realize what's about to happen."

Max frowned and shook her head. "Mr. Jefferson, why are you doing this?" She questioned.

"Oh, Max... I'm so glad you asked that question." He said and started approaching her. "Simply put, I'm obsessed with the idea of capturing that moment innocence evolves into corruption." Mark crouched in front of Max. "That shift from black to white to grey... and beyond." He told her with a sly grin on his face.

"Most models are cynical. They lose that naiveté. However, some Blackwell students carry their hope and optimism with them like... an aura. And those lucky few become my models... my subjects." He finished and stood up.

"Yes, you're a psychopath." Max said. "And this is your last session."

Mark smirked at her. Thinking she was nothing but a joke. "Au contraire, Max. I'm so sane, that nobody knows what's happening to you right now." Mark glared at her. "And don't get me started on your late partners..." He crossed his arms. "I had enough of those faux-punk sluts and good for nothing skaters in my Seattle days." He said.

Max looked up at him. Anger burning inside her. "You killed Chloe! Daniel! You murdered my friends."

Mark shrugged. "She had a loaded weapon." He said. "This was clearly self-defence. And I couldn't keep Daniel alive since he would have been a witness. But that's what happens when you play with guns... or try to fuck with me. It's better when they don't know... like pure, sweet Kate."

Max gripped the arms of the chair tightly. "Kate believed, and she survived. You failed to break her. She's stronger than ever. And she'll outlive you." Max told him.

"She'll certainly outlive you." Mark told her with a confident grin. "Who knows? Maybe I'll pay Kate a visit soon and test her faith again..."

"You will not get away with this. I want you to know that." Max said. "Then why did you blame David Madsen for stalking Kate?" Mark said. "Of course, he was the only person who was about to find out the truth. Irony... I do know that the Prescotts are going to have a major scandal when the town finds out what their elite son has been doing for homework..."

"You used Nathan." Max said to him.

"I prefer the term "manipulated." Like with an image..." Mark told her. "Nathan's was easy to twist around. I became a sort of father figure for Nathan." Max arched an eyebrow at him. "It happens often in teacher/student relationships. It was kind of touching for a while."

"Did you tell him everything about your plans at Blackwell?" Max asked.

"Don't be stupid, Max." Mark said. "I told him what he needed to hear. In return, I had access to the Prescott fortune. Who do you think paid for this glorious dark room and equipment? How else could I get all these hip new drugs for my subjects?"

"Rachel Amber was your victim, not your "subject." Max told him. "Oh... Rachel Amber..." Mark said softly. "That's the real tragedy. Nathan thought he could be an artist like me... Instead, the dumbass gave her an overdose."

Max finally learned the cause of Rachel Ambers demise. Something that she and her friends clawed to find out. And she finally knew. But they didn't. And they never would.

"Why Rachel?" Max questioned. "I don't have time to tell you everything. But she... was special. A human chameleon... So many visual possibilities... We had a real connection." Mark said. "Did she let you... take pictures of her?" Max asked him. "Rachel was in love with me." Mark told Max. "That's not my ego. Just look at our sessions. Not that I'll let you. Nobody loved having their picture taken more. Anyway... Rachel is dead. But no tears, Los Angeles would have killed her anyway. So, look at this as a favor." Max shook her head. "You're evil." She said.

"Oh, I see." Mark said. "You're "good" because you stopped your friend from beating Nathan up."

"I cared about Nathan more than you did." Max told him.

"No! You didn't." Mark retorted. "It's just too bad that he fell in lust with Rachel. He actually thought he could mimic what I do with a camera and subject. Like father, but not like son..."

"Where is Nathan now?" Max questioned Mark.

"Dead and buried." He said straight up. "After what he did to Rachel, I knew I couldn't keep him as a protégé for much longer. Now the police will never find his body..."

Even after all the bad that Nathan has done, Max was still saddened to hear of his death. Just another person that Mark can say he's killed. She looked up at him with a glare.

"Do you finally get it now, Max?" Mark said. "I can't compromise my vision with amateurs."

"You are an amateur. Look at the trail of death you left behind. You can't blame all this on Nathan. I don't care what you do to me." Max clenched her fists. She wanted Mark to listen to her next statement very carefully.

"You're going to die, motherfucker. For Chloe, Daniel, and Rachel, and everybody else."

"I do love your spirit, Max, but you brought yourself here, by your own choice." Mark told her. "Anyway, I like my models to be seen and not heard... so I have to make sure—there's nothing left behind of you." Max wasn't scared. She was furious. Heartbroken and furious.

"Okay. Now, let's see how these shots came out... I can see why your instant camera is so appealing." He said and turned on calming music. "You don't need a computer to print your work out." Mark walked over to his desk and started working with the photos.

I have all those photos in my diary... This could be a way out.

Max raised her right hand and spread her fingers out and watched as the world rewound.

"Okay. Now, let's see how these shots came out..."

"Wait!" Max called out to him. "Please, Mr. Jefferson..." Mark sighed. "Max, I would love to talk shop, but I really need to go over these pictures." He told her. "Especially while they're still fresh in my mind... I think our session... was a career high for me."

"You... You still have my diary." Max said. "Don't worry... nobody's going to read it. Thanks for reminding me." He said and walked over to it. "There's nothing more innocent than a teenager's diary. Oh... Look at your selfies." He shook his head. "What a waste of talent. Look at that shot, Max..." He said and threw her diary in front of her. The picture Max took of herself at the beginning of the week was in there. "You can do so much better." He said and turned on calming music.

Max leaned forward and looked down at the picture she took. She focused on the picture and heard Mark's voice speaking in class. After a few moments... Max went back in time.

To the beginning of the week.