Chapter 10: The Junkyard

The door opened and only Chloe came out.

"Where's Max?" I asked.

"In the washroom." She told me.

"So, what's been happening, skater boy?" Chloe asked, hitting my arm. "Honestly? It's been a lot more boring now." I told her. "Because I'm not there?" Chloe said. "Well, that and nothing really's been happening." I told her. "Because I'm not there. Shit would happen all the time if I was there!" She said. I nodded. "You're probably right." I said. "Damn right I am." She said.

Chloe then sighed. Closing her eyes. "I miss her, Daniel." She said. "Huh?" I questioned. Chloe looked at me and muttered, "Rachel." "Oh." I said with a nod. "Yeah, she was cool. And she was hot." I said. Chloe scoffed and said, "Wow." I replied, "Come on. You can't blame me for checking out the hottest girl at school. If you were a guy, you'd know." Chloe smiled smugly and crossed her arms.

"What would you say if I actually did know?" She said.

Max suddenly walked out the diner. "Let's go, guys." She said. Chloe took one look at her and walked away. "What's wrong with her?" Max asked. "I don't know. She was fine before..." I said. "Let's go!" Chloe said to us. Seems that Chloe still isn't happy that Max answered Kate's call.

Chloe led us to her truck and soon took us to the junkyard she mentioned earlier. In a matter of time, we arrived at the junkyard.

"Is this a race?" Max questioned Chloe's quick pace. Keeping her speed, Chloe looked over her shoulder and said, "Keep up." Being the farthest behind, I jogged up to Max's side. "She's not happy." I told her. Max sighed. "How many times are you going to get pissed at me this week?" She asked Chloe. She turned on her heels, walking backwards.

"That depends on you. And how well you do in this phase of the test..." Chloe said. "So we're going in phases now." I said. Chloe nodded. "Right you are, Daniel. Come on!" She said.

Chloe spread our her arms. "Welcome to American Rust, my home away from Hell." The junkyard. Chloe usually sneaks out here to spend time by herself or to fuck around. I reckon most of the time to get away from David. I wouldn't blame her.

"Raw and rough. It suits you..." Max said to her. I nodded. "Pretty sick if you ask me." Chloe looked at me confidently. "Glad you think so." She said.

As I walked around, checking the place out, Chloe said, "Max, do you know how awesome this is? I get my best friend back and she's also supersized?" I looked back at the junk, still listening to their conversation.

"We don't know for how long." Max said. "Exactly why it's time to have fun." Chloe said. "Come on, skater boy, stop gazing!" She said to me. With one last look, I turned and followed them deeper into the junkyard.

As I followed them, they stopped. Chloe then pulled out a revolver. "David might be a douche, but you did steal his gun..." Max said. "Is everybody armed in Arcadia Bay now?"

"Only the ones who shouldn't be." Chloe told her. "Like step-dildo. Until now."

Max shrugged. "I'm not in the revolution yet, Che." She said. "You are the revolution, Max." Chloe told her. "So we should figure out how to best use and abuse your power with a test." She added.

Chloe took another drink of her beer and held it out to Max. "Drink?" Max scowled. "Yuck." She said and backed away. Chloe snorted. "You are so cute—you haven't changed a bit." She said.

Chloe then turned it to me. "How about you, skater boy? Drink?" Honestly, I've had my fair share of alcohol. But I really didn't want any. "Nah. I'm cool." Chloe raised her eyebrows. "Come on, Daniel. A skater slash bad boy like you has to get thirsty sometimes." She said and took another sip.