Chapter 11: The Drug Dealer

I continued pacing for a good ten minutes or so.

Chloe finally looked up from Max and said, "Quit pacing, Daniel! You're making me nervous."

"Well I—"

Max suddenly started to move. She slowly sat up. "Oh thank god." I said. "You freaked us out there. Do you feel better now?" Chloe asked her. Max was slow to respond. But nodded. "A little. Thanks for helping me, guys, just... give me a minute." Max said. "Too much action for Arcadia?" Chloe asked her. "Maybe not enough." Max said as she slowly slid off the hood of the car.

I looked over at my skateboard which has been sitting on the ground for a while now. As I walked over to grab it, Max told Chloe, "This is kinda fun. Scary and stupid, but fun." Chloe laid back on the hood and played with the revolver. "Let me know when you feel okay." She said.

Holy shit that was tense. I never really seen anyone pass out before. And to think Chloe made me pick Max up was even scarier. At least Max is walking around again. That power must really fuck up her head. I can now say I believe her. First everything at the diner, the nose bleeds, now this? It has to be true.

"Anything here to skate on?" I asked Chloe. "Not that I know of. Wish there was, that'd be hella cool!" She said. "You still skate?" I asked her. She sat up. "Not anymore. After Rachel disappeared, I stopped." Chloe told me. "Still don't know where she is, huh?" I questioned her. Chloe frowned and shook her head.

Max walked up to us. "Okay, looks like you're ready to lock and load." Chloe said as she got off the hood. She wrapped her arm around Max. "I don't know about this..." Max said as she wrapped her arm around Chloe's waist. "Are you afraid of getting in trouble?" Chloe asked her.

"Oh boo hoo, Max is afraid! I know you can handle this. And I'm here to guide you." I looked over my shoulder and ran my fingers through my hair. "Make me proud, sista." Chloe said, handing the gun over to Max.

"Hey. It's Thelma and Louise." A voice spoke behind me.

I turned and saw a guy with a black leather jacket and light blue jeans. Also wearing boots. "Or is it Bonnie and Clyde?" He said. He looked at me and narrowed his eyes at me. "Who the hell are you?" He said.

"Excuse us, Frank." Chloe said to him.

"Oh sorry, Chloe. Don't let me get in the way of your bonding." He said as he walked closer toward us. "I heard the gunshots and the breaking glass. It's cute that you're playing with guns." He pointed at himself. "Just like me at your age."

Chloe shook her head. "We're not anything alike, man." She told him. "We both need money. In fact, you need it so bad you owe me a shitload. Don't you, Chloe?" He said. Stepping closer to Chloe. "You'll get your money." She assured him. Frank looked annoyed. "Don't they all say that? Y'know, even when they're broke and acting tough..." He said.

Chloe and I both stood close to him. I was ready to throw down if he made a move. Max awkwardly started to back away. Frank looked over at her and pointed. "What are you hiding there, girlie? Let me see!" He demanded.

I saw a bracelet wrapped around his wrist. Chloe saw it too and it seemed to anger her. "Where did you get that bracelet?" She asked him. Frank locked eyes with her and quickly ripped his hand away. "A friend. And it's none of your goddamn business. You're my business now and I—" Chloe continued to examine the bracelet around Franks wrist.

"That's Rachel's bracelet. Why the fuck are you wearing her bracelet?" She asked. And she wanted an answer.

"Calm yourself, alright? It was a gift." Frank said. Chloe shook her head. "No it wasn't. You stole that shit. Give it to me right now, asshole." She said, reaching down for it. Frank smacked her hand away and pulled out a knife. I quickly reacted and pushed his arm down. He countered by backhanding me and I fell to the ground.

"Step back before you regret it, kid. I mean it." He said, pointing the knife at me. "Don't touch him Frank!" Chloe said to him. He turned to her. "You want me to cut you, bitch?" He said to her. He turned his head to look at Max. I followed his gaze and saw that she was aiming the gun at Frank. She looked nervously at him.

"Please... please step back." She told him.

"You're kidding. Put that down." Frank told her. Max's finger hovered above the trigger. She then pulled it. Making me flinch. But all it did was make a click sound. "That is hilarious! Oh man..." Frank said with a grin. Max lowered the gun. Clearly embarrassed. "I'll remember you, kid. I'll remember you almost shot me." He said to Max. "And you'll wish I had no memory, because I never forget." He said, pressing the blade close to Max's face.

He turned and looked at me. "And you..." He said, pointing down at me. "I'll remember what you did, too. Don't mess with me." He said. Frank looked at Chloe. "You have until Friday to pay me. Don't ever pull crap like this again—it will be the last time you do." He said. Frank looked at Max. "Try bullets next time, brainiacs." He said and put the knife away.

And finally, he left.

Max let out a sigh. "Sorry." She said. Chloe slowly smiled and hugged Max. "You were awesome. Thanks for standing up for me..." She said. "Yeah. That was pretty cool." I said as I stood up. "You okay?" Chloe asked me. "Yeah, I'm fine." I assured her.

"Let's blow. My secret lair didn't feel secret today. At least Frank is gone, he won't fuck with us again. He just wants his money." Chloe said. She looked at me. "You coming with us, Daniel?" Chloe asked. "I uhh... if you want?" I said. Chloe shrugged. "Don't matter to me." She said.

I looked at Max. She looked back at me and sighed. "Come on, Daniel." She said. I nodded and followed close behind them.