Chapter 32: The Drug Dealer's Clients

Chloe pulled up to the beach. We saw Frank's RV parked just down the path. Max turned her head to the whales. "God... I hate seeing those poor whales like that." Max said. Chloe nodded. "Me too. I just think of their families in the ocean out there looking for them."

"...Better them than us, huh?" I said.

Chloe and Max turned their heads at me. "Very nice, Daniel." Max said. "Just saying, dude." I told them.

Chloe took out David's revolver. "Well, that asshole is going to help us find Rachel." She said. Max eyed at the weapon in Chloe's hand. "Or what? You'll actually shoot him? Chloe, do not count on my rewind... seriously." Max said. Chloe smirked. "Obviously I'm not counting on you. That's why I have a gun. And I might even save you or Daniel someday." She said. "About time." Max said. "I am so going to hit you." Chloe said back.

"There was no way we could have guessed this is what would happen to us when we grew up." Chloe said as she looked back at Frank's RV. Max looked at Chloe. "I'm looking forward to the day we can just go on a road trip to Portland." She said.

"Fuck yeah." Chloe said. "You, me, skater boy..." Chloe frowned slightly. "And Rachel." Max nodded. "Absolutely. So let's play this cool, okay? Just talk to Frank so we can get that code for the book from him. That's all." Max told her. "Got it. No dicking around." Chloe said. "Let's roll." Max replied. I opened the door and stepped out. I followed behind Max and Chloe to Frank's RV.

"Hold on a sec." Max said. We watched as she walked over to the whales. I leaned close to Chloe. "What is she doing?" I questioned. "Dude, she's an artist." Chloe said. "In fact, you get your ass over there too!" I rubbed the back of my neck. "My... camera is at Blackwell." I told her. "Wow. I bet you're just an ace in school." Chloe said as we started walking over to the RV. "You know it." I told her.

Once Max was done taking pictures of the whales, she nodded her head. Chloe nodded back and knocked on the door. The RV opened and Frank eyed at us.

"Oh, look... The Wonder Twins and their skateboarding sidekick." He said as he stepped out. "You should have come alone."

"They're my partners." Chloe told him. Frank looked between Max and I. "Yeah, or bodyguards. So let's get to business. Where's my fucking money?" He demanded. Chloe looked toward Max. She shook her head. Chloe looked back at Frank.

"I—I don't have the money... yet." She told him. He glared at her. "Oh, really... then why did you text me that you did?" He said, pointing his finger in her face. "Because I wanted to tell you in person." Chloe told him. "Oh, I'm truly touched, Chloe. Now why are you losers really here?" He said. "We just want to ask you some questions." Chloe explained to him. "You have some serious ladyballs." Frank said with a hint of amusement. He shook his head. Losing his grin.

"No."

We lowered our heads pretending we were sulking. Frank raised his eyebrow as he looked at us. Seeing our clear, "disappointment", he said, "Jesus, okay, okay." We looked up at him. "But I'm not getting you high." He said. "Frank, we're not here to get high." Max told him. He shook his head. "No, you don't look like the type. Not like Chloe here. So what do you Hardy Boys want?" He said.

"Just the names of some of your clients..." Max said. He raised his eyebrows. "Oh, is that all? Well, why didn't you just tell me? How about I just give you the keys to my RV while I'm at it?"

"Listen, Frank," Max started. "I'm so sorry to be such a nuisance, but this is important." She told him. "Yeah, yeah... Everything is important these days." He said. "But I can tell you're not bullshitting me." Max shook her head. "There's no time for that, Frank. I just need a little bit of information." Max explained.

"Yeah, yeah... well, it always starts off with just a little. Chloe here knows all about that, don't you." He said, turning his gaze on the blue-haired girl.

"Come on, Frank. This isn't about me now." Chloe said. "Yeah, right, okay. You're all giving me a headache. No deal." He said. "Frank, we didn't come here to fight. This is much bigger than us." Max told him calmly. "You... you come in peace? After you aimed a fucking gun at me and then pulled the trigger?" He said.

He looked at me. "And this dick sucker has the goddamn nerve to lay his hands on me!"

"Dude, you had a knife to Chloe's face. What was I supposed to do?" I said to him.

"To be honest, Frank... you scared me." Max said. Bringing his attention back to her. "You held a knife on my friends. I didn't want to pull the trigger." She said. "I could tell by the way you held that pop gun... with both hands, like it was a magnum." He crossed his arms. "Maybe I shouldn't have brought that knife to a gun fight."

"I only want to shoot with my camera, I swear. Ask Chloe or Daniel..." Max told him.

"Look, Frank, Max doesn't need a gun anyway... so are we cool? Please?" Chloe said.

Frank let out an agitated sigh. "Okay, we're cool for now... but my dog isn't. And if you try any shit, he will bite your head off. He's done it before." He told us. "We're only here to talk. I wouldn't mess with your dog." Max said to him. "Shit, you wouldn't have time... You like dogs?" Frank asked her.

Max smiled softly. "I love dogs. Period. I wish I had one trained as well as yours." She told him.

Frank nodded his head. "Yeah, he had a bad trainer before. Real bad. But he's dead now." Frank's expression softened. "And I trained Pompidou how to be my friend."

"That's very cool, Frank. Your dog is lucky you came along." Max told him.

"Maybe we can focus on rescuing Rachel now?" Chloe interrupted. I nodded my head, agreeing with Chloe. Frank glanced at us.

"Rachel?" He questioned.

"Is that why you're really here?" Max nodded. "Yes, we're so close to finding her now, Frank. We need all the help we can get now... especially from you." She said. "You and Chloe do not know Rachel like I did and I couldn't even help her. You're in way over your heads. Why don't you just go play in your clubhouse." He said.

"Rachel said she gave you one of her favorite photos. That proves how much she cares..." Max said to him. "And you care. That's why you have to help." She added.

"How the hell did you know about that photo? That's my favorite picture of her... I can look at it anytime and she'll always be there for me." He frowned and crossed his arms again. "I can't stand not knowing where she is... not hearing her voice... or her laugh... anymore."

Max nodded sympathetically. "We can change all that... it's up to you." She assured him. "Help us find her, Frank. Please... we really need your client list." Chloe said. Frank looked over at me. I gave him a nod. He glanced at the ground and sighed.

"If there's a chance in hell you three dorks can find Rachel... I'll take it." He said. Frank looked at his RV. "My dog isn't barking at you, so I guess that's a good sign." Frank dug out a piece of paper and handed it to Chloe.

"Thank you." Max said politely. "Yeah, thanks, Frank. Seriously." Chloe said. "Don't worry, dude. We'll find her." I assured him. "It's hard to take you characters seriously... but I want to. Good luck." He said with a nod. He walked over to his RV and grabbed the handle to the door.

Chloe placed her hand on Max's shoulder as she walked. I followed behind them. The last thing I heard from Frank was him closing the door to his RV.

We so got this now.