Chapter 25: A Paralyzed Friend

Episode 4: Dark Room

Max and I slowly walked alongside her old friend, Chloe. Stuck in her electric wheelchair.

"It's weird hanging out with you again." Chloe said. Breaking the silence. "I know... I'm glad we are, though." Max said. I didn't say anything. I just shoved my hands in my pockets and looked out at the ocean. Keeping my slow pace with Max and Chloe.

"It was nice that you sent me actual letters." Chloe told her. "That's more than any of my other friends have done..." Chloe chuckled. "And you even wrote on that cool parchment paper. That's so Max."

"So pretentious. But I love writing on it, like an English poet." Max said. "You deserve the best stationery." She added.

"Probably easier to write than to visit me." Chloe said. "I don't mean that in a bitchy way. Not totally." She assured. "You probably wanted to avoid awkward conversations like this." She said. "Uh... pretty much, yeah." Max said. "Well... it hasn't gotten too awkward yet..." I said. "Maybe not for you. But Chloe and I've known each other for a long time. This is our first time seeing each other. Let alone talking in person." Max said. I nodded understandingly. I knew it was awkward for them. Especially with Chloe's condition.

"The worst thing you guys can do is treat me like a baby." Chloe told us. "I still want to laugh and talk shit with my best friend. Old and new." Chloe said. Max and Chloe are old friends. I guess that makes me the new friend. And I'm all for that. Chloe seems like a cool person to "talk shit" with. And have a good time with.

"Can we stop?" Chloe asked. She turned her electric wheelchair to face the ocean. "This is seriously the best view of the sunset. What do photographers call that?" Chloe asked Max. "The golden hour." Max told her. "See? Without you here, I'd have no clue. Bet you could take some amazing shots..." Chloe said.

Her face fell heavy. "Those beached whales are so sad." She said. "I kind of know how they feel..." Chloe smiled slightly. "At least I'm alive here with you." She said.

Max looked at her with a soft expression. "You're a real survivor, Chloe. I know you have to deal with so much." She said. Chloe shook her head. "I don't want anybody else feeling sorry for me." She told us. "I can do that... along with my parents." Chloe looked at us. "My dad still feels guilty about buying me that car." She said. "Are you okay to talk about the accident?" Max questioned. "Max... come on." I said to her.

"It's okay." Chloe said. "We never actually have, huh?" She said. "There's not much to say. Some prick in an SUV cut me off and I flew into a ditch."

"Do you... remember everything?" Max asked.

"I saw everything in bullet time. I felt my back snap and... And that was the last thing I ever felt in my body." Chloe said. I looked at the ground. Even though Chloe doesn't want anyone feeling sorry for her, it's hard not to. I can't imagine what it's like living with that injury.

"When I woke up in the hospital, I literally couldn't move a muscle."

"Shit..." I muttered.

"Jesus! I... I don't know what to say." Max said to her.

"Don't say anything. I'm just happy I did get to see you again. I could have ended up vanishing out of the blue like that girl from Blackwell." Chloe said. "What missing girl?" Max asked. "Rachel Amber." I told her. "She's pretty popular. But she's been gone for a few months now." I said.

Chloe nodded and said, "I didn't know her name until now, just read about it in the news. I feel bad for her family..."

"This is such a different world than when we were kids, isn't it..." Max said to Chloe.

"After that snow and eclipse, it's more like the end of the world." Chloe said. "Do you think so? I haven't kept up with the details." Max said. "I have more time on my hands than you... Plus I'm a science nerd. But, none of this makes sense." Chloe said. "I know things seem out of control, but... as long as we're together, I don't feel afraid." Max told her.

"Hanging out with you makes me feel like a total kid again. You don't even know..." Chloe told her. "Listen, Chloe... I'm sorry I haven't been out to see you more. That was wrong." Max said. "You're my best friend."

"Max, thanks for coming out to see me. You're... you're doing awesome." Chloe told her. Chloe grinned and said, "And I got to meet your cute boyfriend..." Max hit her arm lightly. "Hey!" She said. "She thinks I'm cute..." I said, failing to suppress a smile.

"Um. My... my nose is getting cold. Maybe we should get back to my place." Chloe said. "It is hella cold out here." Max said. "Hella?" Chloe and I questioned at the same time. "I hate that word, no offense." Chloe said. "None taken." Max told her. Chloe turned her electric wheelchair and we slowly moved down the path again.