Chapter 14: The Jumper

Rain poured from the sky. Max and I walked through the gates with everyone else running past us. Max sped her pace. She looked up and covered her mouth. I walked faster toward her and followed her gaze.

What the fuck? How did Kate get up there? Holy shit, she's gonna jump!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I knew Kate was getting harassed daily, but this? This is too goddamn far. "We have to do something to help her!" Max said to me. I lifted my shoulders in a shrug. "How are we—" I looked as Kate suddenly stepped forward and fell. "Holy shit!" I shouted. The crowd gasped as Kate smashed down onto the ground.

(Rewind)

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I knew Kate was getting harassed daily, but this? This is too goddamn far. Max suddenly groaned and held her head.

Max, please don't pass out now!

Max looked up at Kate and blood was dripping from her nose. I looked as Kate suddenly stepped forward and fell. "Holy shit!" I shouted. The crowd gasped as Kate smashed down onto the ground.

(Rewind)

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I knew Kate was getting harassed daily, but this? This is too goddamn far. "Holy shit. What are we gonna do Max?" I questioned her. "Max?" I turned and saw that she wasn't there. Where did she go? She was just right there a few seconds ago. Kate looked over her shoulder and turned around.

Like she was talking to someone.

David's probably up there. Good on him... for once. But Max. Where the hell did she go? She just disappeared. I looked back at Kate. "She's gonna fall!" Someone said. "Bitch deserves it!" Another said.

"What is she doing?" Justin asked as he walked beside me. "I—I don't know, man." I said. Kate moved an inch closer to the edge. Causing everyone to hold their breath.

Thunder roared in the distance. I saw Kate's right arm move slightly. Like she was hesitating. Then she reached forward and fell with whoever was up there.

Holy hell. She didn't do it. Thank fucking God.

Everyone let out breaths of relief. "Holy shit, man. Who's up there?" Justin asked. I looked at him. "I don't know." I told him.

A few minutes later, the doors opened. Everyone gasped and whispered as Max came out with Kate crying in her arms. Everyone parted to let them walk through. Max eyed at me and said, "Come on, Daniel." I looked at Justin. He responded with a nod. My gaze followed Max. Slowly walked with Kate. I followed behind them.

So it was Max who was up there. Not David. That power of hers is a goddamn miracle.

"I'm so sorry." Kate cried. "Shhhh. You're here now. With me." Max told her softly.

She looked at me with weary eyes. All I could do was look. I couldn't say anything. Max looked back at the ground as she supported Kate. Keeping her from falling to her knees. Kate looked so vulnerable.

So broken.

Max and I watched as the ambulance drove away with Kate. I looked at her and gripped her shoulder softly. "You did good, Max. I'm happy you helped her." I told her. She looked at me with tears in her eyes. She buried her face into my shoulder and cried a little bit.

This was new for me. I never had someone cry against my shoulder before. All I could do was embrace her, let her get it all out.

"Max..." Mr. Jefferson's voice spoke.

We both looked at him. "I'm so proud of you." He said. "I think I speak for Blackwell when saying we're thankful that you managed to get Kate down." He looked at her softly. "Principal Wells wants to speak to you." He told her. She looked at me. I gave her an assuring nod. She let out a shaky breath and walked with Mr. Jefferson to Principal Wells' office. I stood on the sidewalk for a few moments.

She did it. Max Caulfield saved Kate Marsh from jumping off of the roof that would have ultimately led to her death. I can't imagine what the sight would have been. I wouldn't be able to look. I'm not close to Kate. Never was. But that doesn't mean we don't ignore each other. Before the video, Kate would always greet me or smile at me when we would pass by each other. But that all stopped when everyone started calling her a viral slut.

I looked down the road the ambulance drove down. With Kate Marsh. The alleged viral slut everyone spoke about. Not anymore. I sighed and walked up the steps.

Leaving the rain to slam down onto the ground.