Chapter 26: The Blade Runner

"This is a pretty high-tech lair." Max said.

"Feels like a high-tech cell. But I am lucky my parents bust their ass to take care of me. I know it's hard for them..." Chloe said.

Max looked at me and frowned. I softly rubbed my hand against her knee. Max cares deeply for Chloe. And I hate to see her sad. She obviously feels bad about not being here more for her friend.

"They're grateful you are here with them." Max said as she looked back at Chloe. "Right. Especially when they can't even take a walk alone." Chloe said to her. "Sometimes I act like a total teenage brat just to give them an excuse to yell at me. Pathetic, I know."

"Chloe, you're a great daughter." Max assured her. "You're kind and sensitive, when you don't even have to be."

"Trust me, I still get my rage on." Chloe told her. "Especially when a nurse has to watch while I take a dump, so she can wipe my bum." I leaned forward and sighed, nodding along sympathetically.

"Or when doctors flip me around like I was a science doll..." Chloe said.

Max shook her head. Planting her hand against her face. "I can't even imagine..." Max said. "Yeah, that's pretty messed up." I added. "But you're still amazing." Max said. "You always have been since we were kids." Chloe smiled at her. "Thanks again for coming, Max. Daniel." We both nodded. "I, uh... need to get my drink on." Chloe said. "Can you bring me some water?" Chloe asked Max. Max nodded and stood up. I then received a text. I pulled out my phone and looked at it. It was Nathan.

N- Yo Yo where did u and Max go
D- To a friend of hers. Why what's up?
N- Everyone's worried about her. She just up and left
D- Everything's fine man. Don't worry
N- Coooool

"Drink up, buttercup." Max said.

"Oh man, no wonder my throat is dry. I don't think I've talked this much the whole year." Chloe said. "Have you ever thought about doing a podcast or something?" Max asked her. "I wish I could punch your face right now." Chloe said.

"A podcast? Dude I am a pod in a cast. Boring."

"Ouch. It was just a thought..." Max said.

"I know you're just trying to help." Chloe told her softly. "Yeah, that's become a bad habit of mine..." Max told her. "You think?" I said. "Dude, you tried helping me with my book report once." Max smiled and said, "Thought you needed a hand."

"I... kinda did." I admitted. After we all shared a laugh together, Chloe's smile slowly disappeared.

"You sound like an adult now. It seems like we were kids in another life." She said. "What do you remember about us as kids? We all have different memories..." Max said. "I think about us as little pirates, running and jumping through Arcadia Bay." Chloe told her. Max smiled. "Me too. But, we're still pirates in our own way." She said. "Uh, yeah right. Check me out, "Chloe of the Caribbean" No way will I get on a fucking boat now. Unless you're with me." Chloe said.

"As you can see, I can't keep all my other friends away." Chloe said.

"You have us..." Max said. "But most importantly, you have me. I'm not leaving you, Chloe."

"Well, you didn't visit me a lot either." Chloe said. She added, "I mean, I loved your cards and photos, but..." "I know I wasn't around much. No excuses, I'm a loser." Max said. I gently grabbed Max's hand. Rubbing my thumb against her fingers. "But, I am trying to make things right." Max said. "How?" Chloe asked her. "Dude, you're not Super Max. And I'm not trying to guilt trip you. That's what my parents are for..." She said.

"Are they okay?" Max asked. "I mean, are they still happy together and everything?" Chloe smirked and said, "So now you're Dr. Bill? I guess they're good, considering they have to deal with me. They laugh and hold hands... and I hope they still get busy too..."

"I think Joyce and William are incredible." Max said. I nodded in agreement. "Max, the accident has been so hard on them." Chloe told her. "Our insurance sucks and the medical bills are fucking insane."

"Can they pay all the bills?" Max asked. "No way." Chloe replied. "They keep the numbers away from me, but it doesn't take much research to find out I'm costing my parents almost a million dollars a year."

"Chloe, you're priceless. Uh, no pun intended." Max said.

Chloe smiled and shook her head. "You are such a geek. That's why I love you." Chloe said. "Of course, I know a geek when I be one. See, I'm practically a human entertainment system." She said.

"It would be sweet to chill out together and watch a movie, like when you'd spend the night at my house..." Chloe said. Max smiled widely. "What do you want to watch?" She asked. "Uh, I think I'm in, like, a mellow "Blade Runner" mood. I always cry at the end." Chloe said. "Plus you know I always wanted to have cool colored bangs like Pris."

"I know. You would look incredible with blue hair." Max said and clapped her hands. "Now let's get this show on the road." She said.

"As you do that, I think I'll head out. Let you have some, uh, friend on friend time." I said as I stood up.

"Aw, really? You're leaving now?" Chloe asked. "Come on, Daniel. We're watching a movie." Max said. "Uh, sure. Why not?" I said as I sat back down.

"Oh and by the way, don't fall asleep on me, like you always do when we watch movies." Max told Chloe. "You too, Daniel." Max said to me. "I remember, Max. Swear I won't fall asleep." Chloe said. "Not when you're here. Not yet."

Once the movie started, Max sat down and leaned against Chloe's bed. The two smiled at each other and we all watched the movie. I never seen Blade Runner before. I hear it's a classic. I guess I'm about to find out.

Chloe looked at Max and Daniel. She was so happy Max came back to her. And that she met her boyfriend. She liked Daniel a lot. She was happy that Max found someone as special as him. She looked back at the movie and sighed happily.

Nothing could be better than this.