Chapter 9: The Blue-Haird Girl

"Speak of the devil..." Joyce said. I looked over my shoulder. There she was.

The blue-haired girl from yesterday.

"Mom and Max, together again!" She said. "And Chloe, looking for a free meal. You've put your whole damn college fund on your tab." Joyce said. Max looked up and smiled. "I'm treating Chloe for breakfast." She said. "Are you atoning for yesterday?" Joyce said to her.

"Oh God Mom, please do not give Max any shit for that. She apologized."

Joyce looked at her. "I know she did. Max is a good girl—woman. She's eighteen now." "Too old to get lectures from you or Sgt. Pepper..." She said. Joyce gave her a firm look. Placing her hands on her hips.

"Call him David if you don't want to be lectured. You only get one damn slice of bacon today." Joyce said as she walked off. Max chuckled and said, "You guys are still the same..." "Another reason to blow this town." She said. Then looked over at me. "Who's the skater boy?" She asked. "A friend from Blackwell." Max said.

Friend? I don't know. Maybe like... acquaintance?

"Thought I'd bring him along. Daniel. Meet Chloe Price. Chloe. This is Daniel Connors." Max said. "Oh. We actually know each other." Chloe said. Taking me by surprise. "We... do?" "You... do?" Max and I questioned. "Dude, don't you remember me?" Chloe asked.

Chloe. Chloe. Chloe. Wait, if Joyce is Chloe's mom, Joyce Price... Chloe Price. Oh shit, it's Chloe!

"Oh. Chloe? Sup man?" I asked, raising a fist for a first bump. Chloe grinned and we connected fists. "Real smooth, smart ass." She said.

Chloe Price. I remember her now. She went to Blackwell before eventually being expelled. She and Rachel Amber used to hang out with me, Justin and Trevor at the park sometimes. Well, that was before Rachel went missing.

So that's why she looked so familiar.

Chloe looked at the jukebox. "What is this shit on the jukebox?" She said. She walked over to it and changed the song. Once she changed the song to her liking, she started bobbing her head to it. "Now that that's out of the way..." She said and walked back to us. "Slide over, skater boy." She told me. I slid across the seat. Sliding my skateboard underneath my feet with me. Chloe jumped into the seat beside me and sat down.

"Let's talk about your superpower..."

"Chloe!" Max said.

Chloe smiled nervously and looked at me. Then back at Max. "Whoops." She said.

I eyed at both of them. "Superpower?" I questioned them.

Max placed her hand against her face. "Chloe..." She groaned. "Just rewind. He won't even know!" Chloe said. "Rewind!?" I asked. "Chloe!" Max groaned again. "Sorry. Sorry." Chloe said again. "Daniel... please listen to me." Max said. "Oookay?" I muttered slowly.

"Okay. Yesterday, I had a completely bizarre experience. I went to the girls' washroom to wash my face. Then I saw a butterfly. I took a picture of it, then Nathan Prescott came into the room."

Max eyed at Chloe. "Then Chloe came in. That's when Nathan pinned Chloe up against the wall with a gun—"

"Wait, hold on. Nathan has a gun?" I said.