CHAPTER Fourteen: I Got Your Back

“How was the first day of the Nationals?” Amani inquired as she watched Kunimitsu arrange his tennis bag for the next day.

“We didn’t have a game today. But we went and cheered for Rokkaku.” He explained enthusiastically while packing his bag.

“Hontouni? How was the game, did Rokkaku win?” Amani inquired again.

“Sadly, they lost, and their coach was injured.” He explained, but he couldn’t hide the smile on his face.

“Why are you smiling if they lost?”

“Am I smiling?” he asked not noticing that he was.

“Hai.” She replied teasingly.

“I guess I really like it when you try to speak Japanese.” He teased back.

“Hahaha, very funny, Mitsu.” She replied sarcastically.

“But I am.” He insisted.

“Iiyo.” She replied, obviously teasing him back.

“You’re doing it on purpose aren’t you?” He dropped the jersey he was holding and stood in front of the mirror hands on his waist.

“Iie.” Amani replied, she was indeed doing it on purpose, responding in Japanese words that Kunimitsu taught her.

“You are.” He insisted before returning to packing his things, he couldn’t wipe the smile off his lips.

“Am not.” She argued.

“Well, what do you do if I speak straight Japanese then?” Kunimitsu threatened.

“You won’t.” she said confidently.

“I can.”

“Of course you can, you are Japanese after all. Which is no fair, because you can speak English as well as I do, but I can’t speak Japanese as well as you do.” Amani pouted and placed her hand on her hips like a seven year old having tantrum attacks.

“But you learn fast.” He glances at her noting how cute she looked pouting like a seven year old. “Kawaii ne.” he stated.

“Kawaii? You think this looks cute? Hmp.” She turned her back now crossing her arms in front of her chest.

“Cuter.” He stated zipping his tennis bag.

“Can’t win over you in this discussion can I?” Amani finally giving in and turning around again.

“Iie.” Kunimitsu answered confidently. “But I’ll let you win some other time.” He smiled.