CHAPTER 18: Their Own Worlds

Kunimitsu lay on the floor of his room thinking about what had happened that day. He felt so elated that it was finally over; they were Japan’s number one middle school tennis team. He could feel the warmth in his heart, the joy he had after going through everything and here they were, the champions. He stood and walked to his desk where he and Ami’s picture was framed. He smiled quietly staring at the picture, thinking just how complete his life was now. He turns on his computer and types something, he browses at the search results and clicks on a few interesting pages before turning his computer off again. He goes back to lie at the floor his head close to the mirror. He just lay there, not bothering to change from his regular’s jersey. His phone beeps and he flips it open.

From: Oishi Shuichiro

Message: Tezuka are you coming?

The team had planned to go to Karaoke that night to celebrate. They already ate at Taka-san’s to celebrate their victory in the Nationals against Rikkai, but right now, there was somewhere else he wanted to be. He clicks on the reply button.

To: Oishi Shuichiro

Message: Iie, enjoy. I want to spend some time with Ami. Yudan sezu ni ikou.

He closes his phone, and grabs his left arm; he knew Ami was probably going to kill him when she sees his swollen arm. But he knew she’d understand, it would have been wrong, if he didn’t go all out against Sanada. He removes his hand from his arm and just lay there staring at his ceiling, he checks the time, it was about five more minutes before the mirror’s reflection changed. He got up from the floor and removed his jacket, as well as his shoes, then went back to lie on the floor. His phone beeped again.

From: Oishi Shuichiro

Message: Iiyo, Send our regards to Ami-chan. By the way, Fuji’s hogging the mic.

He smiles, sometimes it amuses him how his teammates could be so childish yet so mature at the same time. He clicks the reply button once again.

To: Oishi Shuichiro

Message: Sa, that is not surprising.

He press send and closes his phone back again. He check the time once again then mentally counts, Five, Four, Three, Two, One… just as he did the mirror changed its reflection. He waited for someone to call his name, but there was silence from the other end. Maybe she was still eating dinner. He tells himself and just lay there.

A few minutes passed and he heard the opening of the door from the other side of the room. He heard footsteps coming near, until he saw the inverted image of his most priced treasure staring down at him from the mirror. She slowly sat down on the floor and placed her hand on the mirror about where his head was located. He smiles at her; she smiles back. No words were spoken; they just stared into each other’s eyes. He wanted to get lost in her eyes, he wanted to drown in her presence, he wanted so much to hold her.

“We won.” He finally spoke up.

“I know.” She replied.