chapter twenty - molested

Lisa's p.o.v

The next day I was back at my place after having a great time with Eddy but my mind was not at rest, I needed to talk to Elvy but every time I rang her up she ignored my calls and refused to talk to me.

This was eating me up and I started getting worried about our friendship, ofcourse I did not want to lose her. I prepared for work so I could talk to her first before getting on with my job.

I thought of ringing Eddy up but maybe he would think I was into him so much and so I decided against it. If he wanted anything to do with me he would be the one to put a foot forward and call me up.

When I was done I took a bus to work which was my only means having had to come from this part of the society, Elvy had not arrived at work yet and this pricked my heart more making me restless.

I changed into my working clothes and started serving the customers untill the bumpy head summoned me into his office. This was always my nightmare and I was scared of losing my job.

I knocked twice before he could answer, I could feel my hands getting sweaty.

"You called me sir"

"Yes. Why is your friend not at work yet?"

"I don't know sir, perhaps she just got late"

"Tell her if she doesn't show up today she's fired, you can go back to work now"

I left feeling more guilty, how was I supposed to tell her when she wasn't picking my call at all?

The day went by as I kept glancing at the door hoping to see her but she did not show up, I just wanted my shift to end so I could go to her home and look for her.

After work I decided to ask for the next morning off so I could go see her, the bumpy dude was reluctant at first but he accepted after alot of convincing, the nerve of that guy.

Elvy's place was in a neighbourhood where people marely survived, there were garages all over where Elvy's dad worked in one.

I skipped some water potholes that were scattered all over the road before I reached their doorstep. I knocked several times before her mother opened the door.

"Hello Lisa, come in"

Her mother was always a cheerful woman despite all that life had thrown at her, the few times I had visited she had given me a warm welcome and she made me miss my mom alot, although today she seemed abit sad and I at once knew something was wrong.

"Thank you mrs. Nadia is Elvy in?"

" something bad happened, Its a long story anyway come in I will tell you"

That scared me, I just hoped she was fine, I did not want anything bad to happen to her. I sat in one of the chairs that was worn out and not very strong that for a moment I was scared it could not take my weight.

"What happened Mrs. Nadia"

"Elvy is in the hospital, I even just came to pick up a few clothes before going back to check on her"

"Oh my God, hospital? What happened?"

I saw tears start streaming her face and I just found myself hugging her, I was at the verge of tears for what had happened to my friend. When she was well composed she told me the rest.

"She was coming from the market and it was late when she was molested by a group of boys and she was badly injured"

I just wanted to scream and punch myself on the face, I should have come to see her yesterday perhaps this would not have happened.

This was all my fault.

"Can I come along with you? I want to see her"

"Sure she will need a friend beside her"

If only she knew that we were actually not in good terms at all, but I had to see her.

The hospital was outside the neighbourhood and it took us an hour to get there, her dad was seated outside the room his head lowered, I knew this was a blow to the parents since she played a big role in helping them with the financial matters of the house.

I said hello to him before they signaled me to go in and see her, the room was cold interms of the mood in the surroundings, I moved closer to where Elvy was.

A gasp escaped my mouth as I looked at my friend, her face was all bruised and she had a bursted lip, her eyes were closed and for a moment she seemed lifeless, her hands were all bandaged up and I just wanted to reach out to her and rescue her from the pain.

I sat there just looking at her, I wasn't the religious type but I found myself saying a prayer for her, I cursed those who had done this to her.

She was sedated and so she fell asleep, I did not want to loose another dear person like I had lost my parents.

"Am sorry Elvy, this is all my fault"

I just found myself crying even though the ordeal happened at night, why did she have to go to the market that late? And why had she not shown up at work?

I left the room to get some air as my head was fuzzy and heavy, we had to wait until Elvy was awake so she could give her statement to the police.

The only thing they knew was that the boys who had done this, were some rich kids who had been drinking, they were a gang of five and I could just imagine how Elvy had felt helpless.

Whoever had done this would pay, I just wanted her to be okay and as I stood at the hospital balcony I did not care about what the bumpy dude would think.

My friend's health came first, although the guilt was eating me up I just wanted to be by her side at this difficult moment.

Hello dear readers thanks you for your reads, votes and comments
Here is a new update hope you enjoy.

Love, gemmar