chapter twenty eight - The Family

Lisa's p.o.v

I was so scared, even though I didn't want to admit it, I somehow felt that maybe if I didn't sound the words the fear would go away. But at the pit of my stomach the worst sat there just waiting to unleash and ruin everything I had built so hard, all the pain I had tried to overcome, the painful memories they were all flowing back into my life and I had no strength to prevent it.

I felt a knot tighten in my stomach as we rode in Eddy's car, my hands were pale yet it wasn't that cold inside the car, my mouth went dry.

As we approached the hospital entrance my sight became blur, I felt light headed and were it not that I was seated I would have collapsed.

"Just relax beautiful, everything will be Okay."

Eddy tried to comfort me and somehow I wished that were true but I knew better but I kept my fear to myself. Trouble and misfortunes seemed to follow me everywhere I went.

Eddy parked the car and came to open the door for me, I didn't know how I would have survived without him, but a voice at the back of my mind screamed for me to stop there.

I had survived worst, I had learnt to live on my own, no one to depend upon. It was so cute how Eddy was sticking up, but I dreaded the moment when he would get tired and leave me for someone like Claudia.

That was a thought I was Willing to push somewhere in my fears storage but I knew bad luck was just somewhere lurking waiting to drop like a bombshell and finish up the little joy I had.

We approached the reception desk and asked to see the doctor responsible for keeping all the files of the women who had delivered in that hospital for the past twenty four years.

She was a lady who seemed to be in her late fiftys and after being directed, we knocked several times before a woman's voice answered.

There were two Seats and I sat on one as Eddy sat on the other. The woman checked us out above the ugly spects she was wearing, one funny way to describe her but she had a fierce look.

"Yes how can I help you?"

That was definitely one warm welcome indeed, my mouth bacame dry and my voice hitched, luckily Eddy had come with me and came to my aid at this point.

"We wanted to know if you have a record of a woman who gave birth here 23 to 24 years ago by the name Lisa Gueras"

Eddy explained to the woman as she kept checking us out above those spects.

"You know we just don't give out patient's information without following a protocol, so who are you to her?"

"Well its a long story but i want to confirm if she's my mother"

I finally found my voice although it literary broke with every word.

"And who's he?"

That was getting hard now, but Eddy answered before I did.

"Her boyfriend"

There was an awkward silence before the woman said okay and started checking some files on the shelve.

She picked out one file that was boldly indicated, Lisa Gueras.

"Here is the file? What else do you want to know?"

"About the woman and what happened to the child she gave birth to"

She was quiet for sometime before clearing her throat, the knot in my stomach tightened more.

"She gave birth to a girl child and according to the year, that is thenty four years ago, she gave her up for adoption which was certainly emotional for her"

I swallowed hard since the information was just too much to comprehend but I wanted to know everything and if I was that child.

"Where was she from?"

"She wasn't married, she had been having an affair with a married man, who abundoned her after learning she was expactant and so she couldn't keep the child"

Tears started forming in my eyes and I tried so hard to hold them back.

"I guess you also have records on the parents who adopted the child?"

"Yes we do"

She checked the file again before passing it to me and indicated there clearly was my adoptive parent's name. And beside it was my name Lisa Gueras Olivares. I finally let the tears flow as I felt the dizziness taking over....all the pain I had avoided came flooding in full force.

Eddy reached for my hand and squeezed it, trying to give me comfort but at this point that just wasn't helping at all.

"And who's my father?"

"Apparently she wanted to keep you away from him and I guess she's the only one at liberty here to tell you that"

"But where will I get her?"

"This is her last address"

She handed me a piece of paper which she had written the address down.

Something just wasn't right, why did she keep him a secret, was my mom just a hooker?

I prayed that wasn't true.

We left the hospital with the address but I had had way too much that I just needed a rest then I would think about the whole matter with a clear head, and whether I wanted to know who my father was.

Perhaps I even had other siblings, somewhere between the confusion I felt a streak of hope to reuniting with people to at least call a family.

"You must be tired, I'll make you a sandwich as you rest"

Eddy was just being so sweet no one had really cared for me this much.

Just then his cellphone started ringing, "its my mom"

Just the worst timing, i knew his mother hated me and I was dreading that day when I would have to face her. She was a powerful woman.

"Go ahead and answer"

The call only lasted like 5 minutes and the only answer Eddy gave was an Okay.

"She wants me to go home for dinner, and am taking you with me"

"No Eddy, she doesn't like me,"

"She has to know that it's you I choose, so get some rest you are coming".

Definitely I wasn't going to get any rest.

I could already imagine the harsh look from her eyes.

Hello guys its been long since I updated
But am back now, check out for more updates
Vote and comment.

Love, Gemmar.