Chapter 1

^Molly Miller^

Molly

I smiled at the back of Dustin's head while Mr. Clarke talked about atoms and compounds. Not to brag or anything, but I was pretty smart. I had already learned this, so I just daydreamed. Mostly about Dustin, but that's not the point.

'I wonder if his hair is as soft as it looks,' I thought to myself, but quickly dismissed the thought.

Dustin thought of me as a friend nothing more. Why would he even like me in a romantic way anyway? I'm a normal girl. I'm boring. I didn't have bright blonde hair that sparkled in the sun, and I didn't have deep ocean blue eyes that people fantasize about in romance novels. I had thick brown hair, and dull hazel eyes that looked like a polluted ocean, not a clean one. I had freckles all over my face, which has earned me the nickname, Twinkle, from the boys because my freckles are apparently like stars on my face.

There were so many people thought I had a disease, but I don't. I just have a lot of freckles. The girls in my class thought I looked strange, so I hear a lot of, "Hey you should get your rash cleared up," and "My mom is a dermatologist." Once, they even put a stick in my hair, so it would distract from the mess that was my face, which earned me the name Twig Girl from Troy.

Basically, all the kids my age in Hawkins are a bunch of jerks except for Lucas, Will, Dustin, Mike, El, and Max. I haven't talked to Max much, but she hasn't started teasing me, so she's automatically nice. I haven't seen El since she defeated the demogorgon, and I really miss her. They're all very nice, and we had so much fun together. Then Will came back, and things started getting strange again.