Chapter 20

Molly

After the Snow Ball, Dustin stopped talking to me. Every time I walked over to him, he would look at his shoes, or walk away. I don't know what I did or how I could fix it. I hope he wasn't mad at me. Did I do something wrong?

"Molly!" Katie yelled, shaking me from my depressing thoughts.

"Yeah?" I asked, sadness evident in my voice.

"You've been sad ever since the Snow Ball and that was two weeks ago! What's up?" Katie asked, putting her arm around me.

"Dustin stopped talking to me, and I don't know why!" I said, tears welling up in my eyes. "We both told each other we had feelings for each other, and we kissed, but then he just became distant."

"Well, he's a jerk for doing that," Katie replied rubbing my back.

"Look what's become of me! I'm crying over a boy!" I exclaimed, tears pouring out of my eyes now.

"Crying over someone who you care deeply isn't a bad thing Molly," Katie said, smiling comfortingly at me. "You just have a lot of emotions about the person. It's okay to cry. It's Dustin's fault for playing with your emotions and being stupid."

"Thanks Kates," I sniffled, wiping my eyes. "You really know how to make a girl feel better."

"You're welcome Molls!" Katie said standing up. "Let's go to our special spot!"

"Alright!" I replied. "That sounds like fun!" I tightened my ponytail, and walked after Katie to our secret spot overlooking the quarry.

It was a beautiful place. A field of wildflowers that was a little ways away from the edge of the quarry. On clear nights the girls and I would go up there to watch the sunset and look at the stars. There were some trees around, but you still had an open view of the sky. It was a perfect place to talk and hang out.

"Thanks again Katie. If you hadn't suggested this I would have been wallowing in sadness over Du-" I cut myself off because we had arrived, and there stood Dustin.

"I'll leave you two to it then," Katie said walking back to her house.

"Katie wait!" I yelled but she was too far away to hear me.

"Um-hey Molly," Dustin said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh! Now you want to talk to me!" I exclaimed staring at the boy in front of me.

"I always want to talk to you!" he yelled back.

"Well it sure doesn't seem like it," I said, pausing, tears were spilling out of my eyes again. "It hurt Dustin. It hurt how after everything that happened, you just ignored me. I thought that you liked me or something, but I guess not."

"No Molly!" Dustin started, taking my hands in his. "I do like you. You're sweet, funny, smart, and you're adorable! I missed you these past two weeks. I missed how your hair swayed back and forth as you walked. I missed how your eyes would sparkle when you talk about something you enjoy. I missed how you would make me happy again just by saying 'hi.' I missed how you would talk to me at my locker at the end of the day. I missed your smile, and how it would make me feel butterflies in my stomach. I missed how you would make a terrible joke, but it would be so stupid that I would have to laugh. I missed you so much Molly, even if it didn't seem like it. I was planning to ask you to go on a date with me, but I was too scared. Then I came up with the idea to bring you here. It took Katie and I a while to plan, and you know I suck at keeping secrets."

"Oh Dusty," I said laughing, my face still wet with tears. "You're too cute," I said cupping his face with my hands, taking in every feature of his face. The way his eyes danced with joy and how they crinkled when he smiled. The way his cheeks had a faint blush to them.