Chapter 17

Molly

The girls and I had so much fun at our sleepover. After we biked home, we had a lip sync hairbrush microphone contest. Max won for her brilliant number of "Girls on Film."

Sadly, we had to go to school today. I enjoy school, don't get me wrong, but the Snow Ball is coming up, and I don't like seeing all these couples when I'm too scared to ask my crush.

Katie tried asking Will, but chickened out, and just put the drawing in his locker, writing "Snow Ball?" on the paper. Will was so happy at the end of the day, he ran up to Katie, and tackled her in a hug. Katie blushed so hard, and was giggling at the Byers boy's actions.

Max being the brave girl that she is, asked Lucas at lunch, and he choked on his sandwich. After some very awkward stuttering, he said yes.

Mike and El were obviously going together. Since Mike promised her back in seventh grade, plus our ship must sail. We were going to make sure of it.

I was too afraid to ask Dustin. Believe me I tried, but at the last second I chickened out. He was just so adorable, and I wish I had the courage to ask him. He probably won't reject anyone. He's too much of a sweetheart for that. I just don't want to ruin our friendship by confessing.

I was sitting on the curb at recess, staring at the same sentence in my book over and over again. I wasn't reading, my concentration was on the curly haired boy close to where I was sitting, talking to Lucas about something. I tried to listen, but I could only hear Dustin since he was being so loud.

"You had it easy Lucas. Max asked you to the dance. I have to work up the courage to ask her!" he yelled.

I couldn't hear Lucas's response, but I could see him punch Dustin on the arm. I turned back to my book, still looking at the same sentence.

"Hey Molls," I heard the voice of my crush say as he sat down next to me.

"Hey Curly Fry," I replied closing my book.

"What were you doing?" he asked interlocking our hands. He'd been doing that a lot lately. Ever since our adventure to get Will back, he's constantly been grabbing my hand. I didn't mind of course, I just wanted to know why.

"Trying to read," I said gesturing to the book on my lap.

"What do you mean trying?" he questioned.

"I just can't focus," I explained. "With the Snow Ball and everything, I've just something on my mind."

"I know the feeling," he said. "There's someone that I want to ask, but I'm too afraid-"

"That they'll say no," I finished for him, squeezing his hand. "Same with me."

"Yeah. Why does this dance become such a big deal? I mean, it's just one night that we'll remember until a high school dance comes along," Dustin ranted.

"That's a great point Dustin," I agreed and he smiled at me. "Why are you always holding my hand?"

"Oh, uh, s-sorry," he stuttered dropping my hand. I giggled and grabbed his hand again.

"No it's okay. I like it. I just want to know why," I explained squeezing his hand and leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I guess with Will's disappearance, I'm scared I'm going to lose another one of my best friends. I guess my logic is if I hold your hand it's like I'm keeping you with me. I know it sounds stupid," he explained looking at his shoes. I blushed and squeezed his hand to reassure him that it was okay.

"Now, it's not stupid. I think it's cute," I told him, smiling at him.

"R-really?" he asked looking at me.

"Y-yeah," I replied looking at his bright blue eyes. I could get lost in them.

"Lovebirds!" Lucas yelled. "The bell rang. It's time to go home." Dustin and I broke the eye contact, and blushed.

"Come on," I said standing up and offering my hand to Dustin. He took it, and I pulled him up.

"Let's go!" he exclaimed intertwining our hands once more. I swung our hands back and forth as we walked towards our friends, hand in hand. Nothing on my mind but the curly haired boy called Dustin Henderson.