Chapter 12

Dustin

We heard Lucas yell "Demo-dogs!" and we all ran in defense mode. Max and Lucas scrambled off the roof, Steve was holding his bat, Molly had a stick, and I was holding a rock.

We watched as the Demo-dogs hissed, and howled. We were cornered. They surrounded us, it was a trap. I grabbed Molly's hand, as if that was supposed to do anything. She squeezed my hand, and I smiled, despite our lives being in danger.

"You kids stay here," Steve yelled as he went out there, and started whacking the Demo-dogs with his bat.

"He's an idiot," Max said as we peeked through a slab of metal.

"No, awesome," Molly and I replied. We continued to watch Steve, but then a Demo-dog ripped off part of the roof, and growled at us.

Molly stepped in front of me, putting her arm in front, as if to say, "Back off. You're not touching my friends." She then took the rock from my hand, and threw it inside of the creature's open mouth.

It choked, and fell to the the ground twitching. Suddenly, Steve came in, and hit the creature in the chest with the bat, killing it. We heard a howl, and suddenly the Demo-dogs had retreated, back to whatever had called them.

"That was amazing!" I yelled beaming at Molly as we walked out of the bus. I wrapped Molly in a hug, picked her up, and spun her around. She was laughing, as the wind blew, pulling more strands of hair from her braid.
With a sudden boost of confidence, I reached out, and placed the loose strands of hair behind her ear.

"T-thanks," she stuttered. I smiled at the beautiful girl in front of me, and hugged her tightly once more.

"Aw. You guys are adorable," Max said causing the two of us to jump apart, and blush.

"It seems you enjoy a certain boy's company as well, huh Max?" Molly smirked, gesturing at her and Lucas's intertwined hands. They both blushed, but didn't move their hands.

"I'm glad we're all safe. Group hug?" Molly suggested. We all sighed and hugged, happy that none of us had been injured.

"Get in here Steve!" I yelled at the high schooler. He laughed and awkwardly joined the group hug.

~Time Skip~

We walked through the woods, and came out to see Nancy and Jonathan.

"Awkward," Molly whispered to me, and I laughed a little.

"For sure," I said pointing at Steve, who looked jealous, and bit sad to be honest. Molly and I both noticed, and we each grabbed one of his hands. He looked down at us and gave us a small smile.
"Don't look so sad, you're Dope Mama Steve," Molly told the high schooler, which caused him to laugh.

"Thanks Molls. You're a good kid," Steve replied, ruffling Molly's hair. I reached out a tucked her hair behind her ears, and promptly turned red.

"Solanum Lycopersicum," Molly whispered, which made me laugh. She pulled her braid out, and just yanked it up into a ponytail. A few loose strands framed her face, and I felt the sudden urge to kiss her. I didn't though, and settled for holding her hand to calm my nerves, and fight the urge.

"Why's the lab out of power?" Molly questioned, pointing to the now dark lab.

"I don't know," Lucas said.

"Why don't we check it out?" Max suggested, so we did.

Jonathan seemed to be having trouble opening the gate.

"Let me try Jonathan," I offered, but he didn't budge.

"Dude it won't open," he replied.

"Let me try Jonathan!" I said more forcefully, and he moved. I kept pushing the open button, and finally it opened when the lights turned back on.