19- Manners

The only time that I could ever feel in love was when I was with Marcus

The only time that I could ever feel in love was when I was with Marcus. Every month, I'd be so excited for my one night with him because I loved feeling in love with him.

But this month, when I'm getting all dressed up to spend my Friday night with him, I'm not nearly as excited as I used to be. Every time that I have a client, I still feel awful about betraying my relationship with Micah. I feel disgusting and terrible but I just keep thinking about Casey's tuition and I know that I can't give up the money. Especially with Davis's threats, I can't take as many clients now so I need the money more than ever.

So I wear a tight green dress with stockings, get my makeup done, put on my stilettos, make sure that everything I need is in my clutch, and I head out of the apartment. I haven't seen Micah all week because law school really keeps him busy most of the time but we talk or text every day, all of the time. He's coming over tomorrow night so that we can spend time together tomorrow so I'm pretty excited about that.

"There you are," Marcus grins at me when I meet him at our normal dinner table at my favorite restaurant. "You look great tonight, Samantha."

He's the only one who ever calls me by my full fake name instead of Sammy. I used to love that but now, I can't stop thinking about how my real name sounds coming from Micah's lips.

"You're looking pretty handsome as well," I respond as I sit down across from him at the small table. He's already starting on his first glass of scotch. "How are things with you?"

"Just the same as always," He answers me. "And what about you?"

"Busy," I sigh. "Really busy."

"Your brother started high school?"

"He did. He likes it, I think. Even if he didn't like it, I wouldn't tell me about it. Doesn't like to worry me," I explain. "What about Melony? What grade is she in again?"

"She's just started fifth grade," He answers me. "She's starting to ask about joining a volleyball team, which I think is good for her. I always worry that her mother doesn't get her out to exercise enough. She's learning the violin now too though, I'm worried that she's going to stress herself out with too many activities."

"Volleyball sounds like fun," I agree with him.

Marcus gives me a frowning look as he sips on his scotch. "Something is up with you tonight."

"Sorry," I quickly apologize. "Sorry, I'm listening."

"What's going on?" He asks me curiously.

"Nothing," I insist but he doesn't seem to believe me so I just decide to give him somewhat of an explanation. "I've met somebody. Not a client, he doesn't know about what I do, so I just feel guilty about keeping this from him."

"You're dating this guy?"

"Yeah," I admit slowly. "Listen, we don't have to talk about me all night, I'll deal with my issues on my own time."