25- Alone

I don't think I've ever been as happy as I am right this moment in my life

I don't think I've ever been as happy as I am right this moment in my life. The paperwork just came through that gave me legal custody of Casey, Davis is in jail, I have a steady income, and I'm dating one of the most amazing human beings on the planet. The night that I met Micah, everything started going right.

On Tuesday, I'm writing about Micah in my book of poetry because there's a lull in the day. Harrison is working in his office but the door is shut between us and there's nobody coming in or out. Most of the time, when he's in his office, there are people walking through here the entire time. Whether it be his wife (Micah's mother), journalists, or other people from his team. Right now, I guess he's putting his head down and doing some work because he told me this morning that he is on 'do not disturb'.

Just before lunch time, Harrison's door opens and he walks out into the lobby area where my desk is.

"No Micah yet?" He wonders, noticing the absence of his son on the couch. I love that he doesn't mind that Micah hangs out here after his classes are over. I think that Harrison sees that it doesn't impede on my work, so that's why he's okay with it. And maybe he likes spending time with his son during the day; they seem like a close family.

"He has a constitutional law class until one, so he'll be here after that," I answer him. "And he had an exam today that he's been stressing about, so during lunch, I'm running over to the bakery across the street to grab some brownies to cheer him up. I could grab something for you, if you'd like."

"Oh, no, it's too much sugar for me. He likes the ones with M&Ms on top though," He informs me.

"Yeah, I know. He ate almost my entire brownie last week when I ordered one," I say, leaning back in my chair and laughing at the memory of how funny Micah looked with the chocolate frosting covering his face like a child. He really loves those brownies.

"Well, anyway, I have these documents that need distributed to the entire environmental committee," Harrison hands me the stack of folders that he'd been holding in his hand as we've been talking about his son and his love for M&M brownies. "It's urgent, so you'll have to take them to the offices. I'm sorry, I know that's annoying."

"No problem," I choke out, trying to remain calm but I immediately realize that means that I'll have to go to my father's office. My hope is that he won't be in his office but I'm sure that it's a strong possibility that I'll have to face him again. I knew that it was a risk when I took this job, so I just have to deal with it.

I stand up from the desk with the folders. "Thank you, Eleanor. Oh, and Micah told me about your brother. Congratulations on getting custody."

I smile politely at him. "Thank you, we're all really excited about it."

I then head out the door and down the hallway. I go to every office on the list, procrastinating my father's office until the very end because I really don't want to do this. Maybe, if I wait long enough, he'll be on his lunch break when I get there. I'll just talk to a secretary or something. A lot of people that need to get something to Harrison will just leave it with me and then I give it to him.