Chapter Twenty-Four

Nick's POV

"I'm looking for a Logan Garner," I asked the man at the front desk while showing my badge.

"He's in room 614," the man said. "Mr. Garner had surgery last night, so try not to do anything that would stress him out."

"We only need to ask him a few questions," Hank said next to me.

The man nodded and we took the elevator. When the door opened, we walked through the halls until we found the right room. I looked inside and saw that Logan was awake. I started to walk in and signaled for the others to follow me.

Logan looked up at us and I said, "Hello. My name is Detective Burkhardt. This is Detective Griffin and Sergeant Wu," I was pointing to the appropriate people. "We're investigating the convenience store robbery."

"Hi," the young man said tiredly. "You guys probably know my name already. You can just call me Logan."

"Logan, we came to ask you a few questions," Hank said.

"Okay, I'll try to answer them the best I can," Logan said.

"But first, I just want you to know that I know what you are," I said. I had to say it; I couldn't let Logan leave anything Wesen related out because he thought I didn't know about him. "You're a Yaguaraté. And I'm a Grimm. I'm not going to hurt you, but I need to know what happened."

Logan didn't panic like I expected, especially since a Grimm had just robbed him.

"One of the people who robbed the store was a Grimm," he said, echoing my thoughts.

"Start at the beginning," I requested.

"It was a normal night shift. Pretty slow. At one point, I'm not sure what time, four people came in wearing bandanas. One guy, I think he was the leader, thought I was a member of the North End Crew because of what I was. He told the Grimm to kill me. For a second, I thought she would, but she told him, 'I can't.' She stood between me and the leader and said something like, 'You promised no one would get hurt,' or something like that. The two guys with the money got her out of the way and the leader shot me. The Grimm girl wasn't on the same page as the people she was with, that was clear."

"You have a pretty good memory," Hank commented. Logan did seem pretty sure of himself and included more details than we usually got from witnesses, especially witnesses in the hospital.

"I'll never be able to forget it," Logan said nervously.

"Then what?" Wu asked.

"I was on the ground, and I saw the girl jump over the counter. She told me to be quiet, and I didn't get why, but I listened. She had me sit up and was trying to stop the bleeding... I didn't know why she was helping me." Logan had a blank expression on his face as he shook his head. It looked like he was watching a movie that only he could see.

"Anyway, she told me to give her one minute before I pressed the panic button behind the counter, and then she walked away from me. I remember, she yelled, 'Andre! You son of a bitch. You killed him!' even though she knew I wasn't dead. The others didn't check to see if I was alive or not, and I think it's because of the Grimm girl. She saved my life," Logan explained.

"What happened after that?" Hank asked after we exchanged a knowing look.

"The guy named Andre said something about her needing to help them. They fought for a little more, and that's when I heard the guy named Andre ask her if she wanted to die or come with them. The Grimm said she'd come and I heard them leave the store. I waited for a little while and then I pressed the panic button."

"It doesn't sound like the Grimm even wanted to be there," Wu hinted.

"There's no way she was there by choice. She could have gotten killed for trying to save me, but I'm glad she did or I might not be here," Logan agreed.

"Okay," Hank said. "We have to make sure the press doesn't release an accurate story about this. Logan, we think you should go into witness protection once you're released from the hospital. We don't want the robbers to find out you're still alive and put a hit on you, and if they discover you're alive, they could kill the Grimm girl."

"Okay," Logan said. "I can do that."

"We'll make the necessary arrangements," I promised before we walked out of the room.

I called the captain and he said that he already told the press that Logan had died. Apparently, they already put a story in the newspaper.