Chapter Sixty-Two

Third Person POV - Day One

Nick was sitting in an uncomfortable hospital chair like the ones from the waiting room. He was waiting - waiting for Trubel to wake up. He watched her carefully and talked to her though he doubted she could hear him.

But now Adalind was there. She had been keeping him company for the past few hours, and was now trying persuade Nick to take a break. He wasn't paying attention.

"Why would she do this?" Nick asked her. "She knew Andre was going to shoot her and not me. She knew!" Nick shook his head frustratedly. "Maybe she had some kind of deal with him that I didn't know about. I don't know." Nick looked sadly at Trubel in her hospital bed. "I just wanted to protect her, and now look at her... She shouldn't have been there. I should have made her go with Monroe and Rosalee."

"If she weren't there, you wouldn't be alive," Adalind said softly.

"This is my fault," Nick said for the hundredth time since Adalind had gotten to the hospital.

"Would you stop saying that?" Adalind reprimanded. "Trubel loves you, and I'm sure she'd save you again even if she knew she would end up like this."

"I was supposed to protect her," Nick complained.

"And she wanted to protect you. It was a decision that she made, and you have to live with it," Adalind told him.

"How can I do that?" Nick asked. "How will I live with myself if Trubel doesn't recover from this?"

"I don't know," Adalind told him gently. "But Trubel risked everything to save your life, and it would be wrong for you to waste that. Whether or not she gets better, she would want you to be happy for her sake."

Nick nodded slightly, knowing Adalind was right.

Adalind was holding his hand as she begged, "Now will you please come home?"

"What if something happens?" Nick worried.

Adalind sighed. "The doctors will take care of her," she promised him.

"They didn't last time," Nick said bitterly. Adalind didn't look convinced, so Nick reaffirmed, "I just want to be here for her."

"Okay," Adalind said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Nick watched as Adalind left the room, feeling guilty. He took Trubel's hand and whispered, "Please get better soon."

*************

Day Two

"How is she?" Hank asked with Wu standing next to them. They came to visit Trubel, and to see how Nick was holding up.

"The same," Nick said hopelessly.

"Why don't you go home?" Hank suggested.

"What if-?" Nick began to asked.

"We know. We'll take over. Go home. Get some sleep," Hank said.

Nick looked back and forth between Wu and Hank exhaustedly before finally giving in. "Okay," he said. "Call me if anything happens." He got up and started walking out of the room.

Wu put his hand on Nick's shoulder in a comforting gesture on Nick's way out. When he was finally gone, Hank admitted, "It's hard seeing her like this," as he sat where Nick had been sitting.

"Yeah," Wu agreed. "It's hard seeing Nick like that, too." It was true. Nick didn't look like he had gotten any sleep, not to mention the depressed expression on his face that came with the expectation that Trubel wouldn't really be okay when she woke up... if she woke up.