Chapter Thirty-Two

Trubel's POV

Roy was quiet as we drove away from the crime scene, and so was I. I was driving at exactly the speed limit.

"Maybe we should go faster," Roy suggested. "We don't want to be found anywhere near-"

I interrupted him. "We don't want to be found speeding away from the scene like we did something wrong," I corrected. "If a cop passes us now, we're just two people casually heading in the opposite direction of where they're going."

Roy nodded in agreement. "That makes sense." Part of me wondered how Roy and the others weren't in jail already. A lot of the things that I saw as common sense never seemed to cross their minds. It just seemed like their time to get busted was long overdue...

It was awkwardly quietly again. He probably wanted to thank me for helping him, but he was also waiting for an apology from me. I was working up to it, trying to find the right time, but it didn't really seem like the right moment yet. Maybe I was being a baby. It shouldn't have been so hard.

"Andre let you use his Mustang?" Roy asked me suddenly, just trying to make conversation.

I wasn't one to needlessly talk. I was awful at 'making conversation,' so I just said, "Nope."

Roy gave me a panicked expression. "You took it from him? Trubel, he's going to kill you!"

"We'll see," I told Roy calmly. I was so fed up with everything, I didn't really care what happened to me anymore. For some reason, just as always, Roy did care. Caring was what got him in trouble, so I was kind of looking for a way to get him to stop talking or change the subject.

"Seriously, maybe you shouldn't come back yet. I can take the car and you can crash with-"

I interrupted him again. "Nick?" I guessed coldly. That should do the trick.

"That's not what I'm saying," he said defensively. "I know you can't do that, but Andre's going to be pissed."

I shrugged. "Oh, well. I needed his car. There wasn't much I could do."
Roy gave me a weird look. "You knew something was going to happen," he accused. He wasn't wrong, so I nodded. "How?" he asked me.

I looked over at him and saw his curious expression. He was staring at me like I had superpowers that I never told him about. It was just intuition that motivated me, so unless that's a superpower...

"I went upstairs to talk to you after our fight," I began. Okay, it was time to come clean.

"About the fight-" Roy said.

"Just let me finish," I told him before continuing. "I went upstairs to apologize for being such an ass because I said some things to you that you didn't deserve to hear. I was wrong, and I wanted to tell you that but you were gone," I explained. "Andre told me you went with Orion... and Marcus, and Julian, and Zach." I shook my head trying to figure out how to explain it. "I thought you were probably fine and you obviously had more reasons to trust them than I did, but I had always sort of had the feeling that you couldn't be on both of our sides. I thought they might hate me more than they like you."

"You weren't wrong," Roy admitted.

"No, I guess not," I said.

It was quiet again.

"Thank you," Roy said.

Here we go again. "Don't do that," I commanded him.

He gave me another confused look. "Why not?"

"You got in a car with them because you were mad at me, didn't you?" I clarified.

"Sort of, but-"