Seven Ways To Sunday (60,61,62,63)

Chapter 60

I sat in the passenger's side seat headed to the doctor's office again. It had been a week since Devin had thrown the party and things had settled nicely between the two men. They had spoken the next morning. Ben wasn't so mad that he had thrown the party, more that he had told Ashlee things about me. Devin assured him that it was before he knew me, before we had formed this makeshift family. Back when he thought that Ashlee and Ben still belonged together.

We pulled into the parking lot and Ben parked the car. I reached to my door handle to get out and Ben grabbed my hand stopping me. I looked at him; he had a look like he had some news. Lately he has been happier in a better mood all together.

"Evie, I have some news to tell you." I smiled. He seemed to be choosing his words carefully. "We've been asked to go on tour."

"Ben that's great." I said throwing my arms around him. "When do we leave?"

"I leave in about three weeks." the fact that he had said I instead of We wasn't lost.

"Why can't I go?"

"I don't wanna stop your sessions with Dr. Starr. I really think he can help you."

"Ben I don't want you to leave me." I was starting to panic. Who was going to take care of me if he wasn't here? Would he leave me here alone?

"Eve calm down." he said taking my hand in his. "How bout we make a deal?" he pulled me closer to him. "If you go in there today and talk to him. I mean really talk to him Eve and every appointment after this one too. I'll talk to him and see what he says about you coming on tour with me."

"Ben..."

"No it's that or you stay here. I'll hire someone a nurse or something to keep an eye on you till I get back."

"Ok I'll try." I said and I meant it for the first time since I started these stupid sessions I was going to actually try it out. I still had no faith in it, but Ben seemed to and that's all that Mattered. I couldn't be without him for a whole tour.

I walked into the office and sat down in the waiting room. The receptionist glanced up at me, and then picked up the phone. I heard her say that I had arrived.

"Eve you can go back," she says after hanging up. I give her a smile and then went back. Here goes nothing.

Chapter 61

I sat in the chair I always sit in. Dr. Starr looked up at me. I wondered why he hadn't given up yet. I mean it was clear to me that I was a lost cause, but he and Ben still held out for me.

"So how are you feeling today?" he asked. I thought about giving one of my usual sarcastic answers, but remembered my deal with Ben.

"I'm tired and scared." I said. Surprise crossed his face. I kept going. "Resentful, those are the dominant feelings this morning." He sat back in his chair; I guess waiting for the punch line to my newest joke. I just looked back at him without a smile, trying to prove that this indeed was not a joke.

"What brings this on?"

"Ben's band is going to tour and he said that he would only let me go if you said I was doing better. He said that meant that I had to talk to you..."

"So you still aren't doing this for yourself."

"Yes I am, I don't wanna be away from Ben." I said simply. So this was something that I was doing for myself.

"What if I told you that it would be better if you were away from Ben for a little while."

"Then I would tell you that the only reason I'm alive and clean right now is because of him."