Chapter 4 Part 2

I stood there, starting at my brothers. Emotions I didn't even know I was capable of having scorching my mind and heart. I had to leave, to go find somewhere to think and reflect. I found myself on another world, far away from the tumult and pain that I had just experienced. Pink trees surrounded me, blue-green water lapped at the lavender sand that sunk and shifted under my feet. I remember collapsing helplessly on the beach and submerging my awareness within the animals that swam under the gentle waves. I just had to get away from everything.

How simple life as a fish or a piece of coral would be. No fears of upsetting the universal balance or being forced to choose between two people you loved more than life itself. Your day is spent embraced by warm waters, sliding elegantly and effortlessly through them, being sustained by the simple act of gravity gently pushing water over you hour upon hour. I stayed there, my mind drifting from animal to animal as they swam in and out of the bay, for several hours.

“Remiel,” Uriel's quiet voice slowly imposed itself upon my awareness. I opened my eyes and searched the empty beach for him. I realized he was speaking to me from elsewhere.

“Yes?”

“I apologize for interrupting your contemplations. I am in the midst of working out a compromise between the two. Lucifer has become increasingly difficult however. Raphael and Gabriel have tried to speak with him but he is refusing an audience with them. Perhaps you and Raguel can get through to him. He tends to listen to you much more openly than others.”

I would have much preferred to stay submerged in the consciousness of a fish than try to speak to a stubborn Lucifer but I had little choice in the matter. “Has Elohim agreed to anything? What terms are you trying to get them to accept?”

“Elohim wants one successful mating between her and the mate he creates for her. He's willing to let Lucifer teach her or play guardian if he gets that.”

“Why would Lucifer disagree to that?” I asked.

Uriel's voice took on a frustrated, darker undertone to it. I gathered he was getting close to the limit of his patience. “He feels that Elohim will force her and try to steal her from him.”

That did it for me, Lillith was an amazing creation to be sure but she was not anyone's property and that included Lucifer. “I'll speak with him. Have Raguel meet me wherever Lucifer is.”

“He is here.” An image of Lucifer's exact location appeared in my mind.

“Thank you Uriel.” I sent myself directly to Lucifer. When he appeared in front of my eyes he was sitting next to Lillith, his arm around her shoulders, discussing the finer points of identifying species of fish. Lucifer would reach his hand out, a fish would appear in his hand, he would tell her it's name and it's job then a different fish would appear. It was a peaceful scene but I was in no mood to take appreciate the idyllic nature of it.

“Lucifer.” As soon as I spoke Raguel appeared next to me, impatience clouding his features.

Lucifer didn't even turn his head to acknowledge us. “What brothers? I am busy.”

Raguel barely controlled a snarl, “Get unbusy and talk to us.”

I watched as his shoulders tightened, a flash of crimson highlighted his aura and Lillith flinched in pain. “What was that? It didn't feel good,” she said. His shoulders seemed to relax and he spoke softly to her, I couldn't quite catch what he said. She nodded in response to his words, then he stood up and walked over to us.

He crossed his arms and his features hardened. “I'm listening.”

“She doesn't belong to you, or anyone.” Raguel got directly to the point. “Whether or not you agree with Elohim's ideas we all have a job to do, including him and you. We create life and then it reproduces. She should as well. Why are you not agreeing with this? Her mating with one of her own kind doesn't mean Elohim owns her or whatever it is you are on about it.”

“I'm not agreeing because he is not worthy of worship.” Golden eyes flashed, “He is selfish and only seeks to control her and her kind and rob their ability to choose their own paths.”

I found an opening in what Lucifer said and jumped on it. “Aren't you doing the same?” He lunged at me, arms reaching out to shove me.

Raguel instantly appeared in front of me and blocked him. “Lucifer! Get hold of yourself. Remiel, isn't attacking you. Listen to what he says!”

I was so astonished at his reaction it took me a moment to remember what I had been about to say. I stepped out from behind Raguel and continued. “Thank you Raguel. As I was about to say. You keeping her with you, not allowing her to choose if she wants to mate or not, is the same as Elohim forcing her to mate. Let Elohim make her equal and let her choose what she wishes to do. You both stated she is highly intelligent, allow her to use it. I'm not on anyone's side, I just want there to be peace. Please brother, please think.”

Lucifer backed away a few steps, torment evident on his face. I knew he cared for Lillith far too much already and felt some sort of obscure fear about how Elohim would treat her. He knew that something had to happen so that we could still do our work in the universe, but suffered from an almost insurmountable amount of pride and a distinct lack of an ability to admit he was wrong. It didn't help that we all knew this new side Elohim was showing would take much delight in humiliating Lucifer for compromising.

“How about this?” I asked, hoping to provide a bit of comfort and support to him. “Elohim agrees to allow her to choose if she wants to mate or not. If she says no, he can always make another female. You both agree to not prejudice or force her either way. Elohim makes her mate, presents it to her and you both allow the balance to take it's course, like we always have in the past.”

“You know if he makes another female he will force them to act and think a certain way,” Lucifer countered.

“How is that any different from what we have been doing for all eternity?” Raguel angrily pointed out.

“Raguel, hush.” I tried to stop him before he made matters worse. Lucifer's eyes narrowed dangerously.

“I will secure Elohim's agreement,” I offered. “My word that he does nothing to force her if you give me your word as well.” My voice hung there, the words seemed to imprint themselves upon the air itself.

Lucifer's features began to minutely relax, “If you convince Elohim of this and he swears to it in front of me I will allow her to choose. That is as far as I will go to resolve this matter.” He left us and returned to Lillith.

Raguel fixed his eyes upon my face, “You realize that was the easy part.” 

“I did not need that reminder brother.” Once again I wondered how I had gotten stuck in this role.

(I love me some incredibly awkward angel family moments. Don't you? - Kat)