Rise Of Pandora: XXV. The String Of The Bow

"All this time, he was just the wolf that wore the sheep's wool and he would've swallowed us whole."

-Baccus

VII. Poet

He remained quiet throughout this trek led by the stranger, an indescribable weight bubbling and filling him with grim discomfort. The seconds faded into minutes like an old memory fading with time. His legs stiffened and his arms tensed tight.

He gazed forward and caught the glance of a sole snowflake descending gracefully. He had not even noticed it had stopped raining and had, in fact, begun to snow. He looked at the snowflake and envied it. The snowflake need not worry when it will die. The snowflake did not need to fear, nor could it. The snowflake was a single and unique force that did not have to fight the world; a cold and inexorable act of nature. Breathing lightly, he watched the white speck fall noiselessly down to his feet.

He eyed the stranger who was walking ahead. His heart stiffened just by the sight of him and so he turned away. Gaijin was walking closely near the stranger. He sighed and looked back to see a confused expression hardened upon Maddard's frigid face.

He slowed his pace and leaned in close, his breath hot against Maddard's ear. "I need to be honest with you, Bessarion. Me coming to get you was a small part of a larger plan. I'm not sure if you have figured this out already but I am not just a soldier. Your suspicious were not wrong about the sudden disappearance of the king of Aeryngrave and the soldiers in the town...I will admit to you that the soldiers were not actually looking for the king but someone else; a dangerous murderer whom we call Mad Dog. The man in front of us he is not what you think. Those dead men back in Sojourn village were my fellow soldiers and this man in front of us is the murderer. He is Mad Dog and I know it. Those strange vibes I got from him, I know both you and Gaijin felt them too. You can't tell me you did not." 

Maddard's eyes opened in shock and almost uttered a sound but he quickly placed his cold hand over Maddard's mouth. He paused briefly and quietly turned to peer at the man. He dragged his pace to a crawl.

He turned his attention back to the interested Maddard and resumed, "Our mission was to capture Mad Dog. Mad Dog has the mark of a wolf on the nape of his neck. I do not know exactly how Mad Dog looks like, the truth is none of us did. We were given a physical description, but I never saw him. I left to get you and," he paused, "I never had the chance to see his face but he matches the description. Long dark hair, a large body, a long course black beard, and tired eyes."

"Mad Dog is a member of a cult called the Dakini, they are the secret shadow government ruling this empire. They are the reason for the Deathknights and Shadowbirds across history, and much of the many catastrophes across the world and this man is one of their members. There is no doubt in my mind now. He is not leading us to any monster, he is the monster. I only asked him so I could gather enough time. He is incredibly dangerous and I do not inten to die, but if I am to die today and you and are to live, I want you and Gaijin to search for the Rare Men and tell them of my fate and if you can...and take my swords back with you if you can." There was a tense choppiness in his voice. He swallowed down a thick build of saliva in his mouth. 

"The monster who killed my men is right in front of me. He pretends he's something else but I will expose him. Go now and share what I told you to Gaijin quickly."

He trembled internally as he read deeply into Maddard's expression. He was utterly dismayed by the soldier's sudden assertions. "I just thought you should know before whatever happens happens." He held back tears while saying this. He made an unsightly expression comprised of ghastly emotions. "Hurry and leave with Gaijin and do not let him see you."