Rise Of Pandora: LXIV. The Metal And The Screaming

"."

-

III. Providence

Walking out of the small chamber room in a tight pack. They were walking and talking like this in through the grand castle, maneuvering past the seemingly unending cuts

"Atlas, what are we really going to do? We planned for the Dakini, never something like this...and all at the same time? And that prophecy in there...this cannot end well," Baccus complained. "We can protect the people from things like–like Deathknights and Shadowbirds, but–but, an apocalypse? What are we going to do!"

"Evacuation comes first, that much does not change. The people remain safe no matter what. Roth, how is that going? Are the soldiers evacuating the cities as we speak?"

"Yes. I gave the decree to my men not too long ago."

"Fort Laudern? Fort Elysian? Fort Riverview? They're advancing there, yes?"

"Yes, yes," Roth said. "Evacuation has been put in effect for at least two hours now," Roth assured Atlas. "All three islands."

"A thousand men at each fort, correct?"

"Yes, Father. Have you lost faith in me?"

"That was not the reason I asked. From what we learned from Baccus during his mission in Moontown, Deathknights reside underground, waiting for who knows how long and Deathknights have been able to make it onto the islands through Shadowbirds in the past, if I recall correctly it had been seventy-four, no seventy-three years since they rode in on their Shadowbirds and attacked the islands. So what I am trying to say is, and I cannot believe I have overlooked this potential threat initially, it is possible for them to be lying and waiting underneath our three evacuation zones. Send strict instructions for your soldiers to check any signs of tampered terrain and send our best confessors, forty to each evacuation zone. Is that clear, Sebastian?"

"Y—yes, Father. I will instruct my people to issue out the royal decrees and have them out to twenty of our pigeons. But, Father, just so you know, after this we will be down to thirty-five of our pigeons until the other fifty I sent out earlier have returned. So we will need to be particular with when we are going to use more and how urgently we need to use them."

"Yes, indeed. But tell Leonard and Alexander to issue the decrees quickly. We do not want our evacuation zones to be used against us. Also, for any reason less than fifty of those birds you sent out do not return by the end of the day, then we will assume that some of our messages have been intercepted so prepare for the unexpected everyone."

"Oh and Sebastian, did Alexander or Leonard tell you about the food supply in the evacuation zones?"

"Yes. I inquired both of them about it. We should have food in each island that will last at least three generations. The soldiers have probably assigned homes

"Good. But remember this, we are fighting for the survival of the human race, but they will not be fighting for us. Watch yourselves around people you meet, you cannot expect to find civilized people in uncivilized times. Watch yourselves and stay close at all times—from this moment on we'll be journeying straight into the jaws of the beast. Pontus, take us high. We are leaving for Shyonnississ, everyone if you need to relieve yourselves now please do so. We will not be stopping on our way there." Atlas suddenly stopped speaking, an uneasiness simmering across his face.

He put down his arms now down at his sides, he turned around and began to sniff.

"Pontus, Alastor, do you smell it too?"

"Smell? What am I supposed to—" Alastor inquired while looking around aimlessly. Pontus tried to concentrate on the path Atlas was pointing out for them to look at. Then finally them hit him and Pontus both. It was a kind of loud smell, an acrid airing of foul fetor and smoky ash. Their noses twitched the more the scent infiltrated their nostrils.

"Is that smoke?" Pontus asked loudly.

"Did he say smoke?" Gelasius whispered anxiously to his brother.

As Dinos turned to address his brother, he could see his brother's nervousness as clear as the daylight. He could visibly see the dense radiation gleaming off of his older brother. It was a natural inclination for the three siblings to raise their body heat when under stress and his brother gleamed like the sun. "He said smoke, brother. But please relax. If the smoke they see are from Deathknights then you will need a clear head."

"You can hear can't you, brothers?" Atlas said to the two growingly concerned Purple Men. "Focus your ears west. You can hear the metal and the screaming, can you?"

Pontus and Alastor alike stepped forward with attentive ears. They faced westward and allowed their powers to pick up on the sounds Atlas described to them. The aura around their ears were morphing into its own isolated light purple color, something almost white. It was plain to say to them now, they could hear the violent scraping of metal, the cinder and smog, but worse of all, through all of the havoc, they could hear muffled cries of terror and screams.

"Pontus, now!"

"I know," Pontus said.

He immediately ensnared the group in his aura again, all except for Roth.

"Roth, remember the plan and stick to it."

Sebastian Roth nodded dismally, a hint of terror glaring past his eyes. Man the evacuation zones, make sure no threat gets in and if they are already in then make sure none leave. Excavate the terrain all across the islands. But most importantly, if you are overrun by the deities, if so unfortunate, do not hesitant to retreat. There is no shame in admitting defeat. Remember, even brave men must know when not to be brave. Take care, Roth, and when all is well once more, we shall return."

Roth nodded, watching determinedly as Pontus lifted the group high into the air, a gust of wind trailing their ascent blowing strands of his hair free and loose.

"May the gods be on our side," Roth muttered to himself as he watched them leave. And just like that they were gone, a shooting star beaming across the horizon, wondering whether he would have the fortune to ever see it again, no matter how unlikely the odds.

He breathed a short prayer and quickly returned to his castle and execute their plans.