Rise Of Pandora : XXXIX. Beyond The Endless

"I wear my life on my wrists."

-Genesis

XII. Foreigner

The amber sun gracefully descended lower beneath the mango-toned horizon, allowing for a beauteous, warm amalgamation of tonalities to devour the lustrous firmament. Gaijin sat admiring it. Now above the shore, they could see nothing but gray steam that hissed at them. They could, even at the several hundreds of feet in the air, could feel the burning steam rising from the surface. The burbling of hot water and bubbles struck a sense of awe and fear simultaneously within their weary bodies and minds.

It was a wrathful sea, surely. It was the only burning sea in existence. Still, Gaijin did not ask questions. He turned his head to where Pontus and Alastor were. He still could not believe that he was being flown across by such a mysterious power. He felt humbled. He did not even need to move a muscle to get to where he needed to be.

Alastor turned to Baccus and gave a determined nod, followed by a genuine smile.

Gaijin could not help but overhear the conversation between the Sundarians, although he did not take a distinct interest in what they were saying, his mind still steeled on Pandora. He noticed they were being taken higher and higher above the hateful inundation. The longer they traveled over that vexed body of wretchedness, the more they felt its awful steam slowly work them into discomfort. It was difficult to breathe for those who were not blessed with the power of Purple Men. The steam was too strong and dense. It was nearly inescapable. All besides Pontus and Alastor were coughing, even Baccus who was hardly conscious broke coughed at times. Pontus took them higher but still the effects were so potent. 

Their ascent resembled that of spirits rising from the burning pit that was hell, denying all of its scorching hands from claiming them. It was difficult to focus in these unenviable conditions, still, Gaijin tried to maintain all of his focus on Pandora. So many thoughts regarding her were rushing through his mind. It made him anxious not knowing where she was. Truly, knowing nearly nothing of where he was made him anxious. 

Gaijin, at times, could see the ocean past the small openings in the steam. Though aggressive, the sea, at this moment, seemed elegant and peaceful. He could not help but admire the beautiful shimmers of sunlight that it so consciously reflected off. The fusion of lights seemed to put on a beautiful display of spirit and glee.

An hour had now passed with the group enduring the heat of the sea below. Pontus appeared stable but somewhat uncomfortable. Alastor, however, with an impregnable smile, seemed to exude an air of confidence intended for the entire group to inhale. Still, the only air for them to absorb was the strong fetor steam that emitted so profusely from the sea. They were far worn by the heat, some even feeling nauseous. 

All except for the two Rare Men felt an overwhelming unease from being this high in the air, but still, they did not falter. Maddard took in this new experience. The Sundarians, too, were thrilled and galvanized with titillation. They were truly soaring through the sky, no longer joined with the land.

"We'll get there soon," Alastor shared to the group. 

In a world as brutal and uncertain as theirs, it was easy to forget that hope was not a figment of fiction. But with the Rare Men, all the murkiness and gloom of this world seemed to dissipate into nothing, allowing for a beam of illumination and faith to resurface and remind all that hope was truly something to believe in. Under the light of the Rare Men, all seemed possible.

Gaijin vacillated his head to the sides and released a pent-up sigh. "Remember, my qualm is with Pandora and the deities, nothing more. Your issues are not mine so after we meet this man, I will leave to go find her," he said bluntly.