Rise Of Pandora: LV. A Better Place

"."

-

III. Gift

Walking past the main entrance, Pandora stepped foot into the grimy wilderness of the Shadowlands. The dead bodies of her little monsters were still spread across the land; the stench had grown stronger, and her eyes had adjusted to the gloom. She squinted and steeled herself, clenching her jaw. The air was still, not even a single wind had brushed her by. The atmosphere was dreary and it cast a negative vibe.

But she appeared determined, but still there was this tinge of anxiety hidden in the thick midst of her emotions.

Her body was rejuvenated and she had again had her first meal served generously to her by those who had sheltered her. No longer did she appear as a skeleton but again as a woman. Her mind was set on one task.

Curious, she extended her hand out. She called for her deities. There was no immediate response from them. They were hardly moving. She thrust out her hand again and called for them once again to come to her.

As she was doing this, the large grey man approached her from the castle. He stepped outside and stood beside her, his tremendous frame towering over hers. With his cold and heavy voice, he spoke to her. "Are you ready, Pandora? As long as you follow and adhere to the plans we've laid out for you, you will successfully punish the wrongdoers that have robbed us of our world and who have killed countless of your own."

She didn't say anything. There was only that steeled expression of hers on her face. She breathed calmly, huffing in the humid aroma.

"You will have your land back...and I will punish the ones who did this to us," she said coldly, her eyes glaring at the many surviving deities floating in the distance. She did not understand why her creatures were not coming to her when she called out to them.

The grey man smiled, but it was a kind of half smile.

He rubbed her shoulders.

"The world you once knew has changed. There are no more gods among us. It is now the era of the humans and they are just as fearsome, perhaps even more so. They stop at nothing and know no fear. Their leaders are who motivate and empower them. You remove them and then the world will be a better place for it. What it is that you decide to do from there is your own choice. There are billions of humans out there, Pandora. It will not be easy."

"Neither will I."

"I see. Regardless, we will still be assigning a guard to defend you as we have told you the day previous. It will be by your side at all times. It will care for you and look after you. We designed it to protect you. It may appear intimidating at first but it will grow on you."

Her stern expression made way for curiosity.

Suddenly, she heard heavy footsteps coming from behind her. She turned and saw a large armored beast with flames erupting from its body.

"Do not stand too close," he shared.

She stepped aside.

It was at least twice her size. It was gripping tightly on a large jagged blade that was nearly the same size as herself. It walked up to her and kneeled, its fire slowly dwindling as to not burn her.

"This is your guard. It will defend you with its life."

"Does it have a name?" Pandora asked.

"Its name is whatever you decide."

"Do you speak?" She asked it, motioning closer to the wild burly figure.

"Do not bother. It cannot produce words, but it can understand you. It feels emotions, too. Still, its sole purpose is to defend you on your journey.