Rise Of Pandora : XL. Into The Dark

"I have good men willing to sacrifice their lives for humanity."

-Brais Bessarion

XIII. Foreigner

There was a muffled shout, not aggressive or ominous in nature; rather, it was distant and sounded rather lively. Soon after, both Gaijin and Maddard could feel their faces being relieved of their blindfolds. Immediately, Gaijin's notions of where he was became verified. They were underground. 

The region was drained of light, apart from torches that were posted along the walls, and it felt compact like some kind of tunnel. Gaijin peered around cautiously. The ground was littered with pebbles and dust, unchanged and unpaved. Curious, he turned to Maddard and stared at his face. Maddard too seemed confused and oblivious to just where they were. Gaijin then felt a hand gently press against his back, motioning him forward to where Alastor, who was waving eagerly for them to approach, stood. The group slowly walked farther into the dark tunnel. Gaijin noticed how none of them besides himself and Maddard, appeared worried, their faces actually expressing a heartfelt look, an expression similar to a wanderer who finally returned home. 

There was a door which stood just past Alastor. It was the same rocky texture as the walls as if it were meant to be camouflaged. They walked down the tunnel, past the alignment of torches on the walls, and finally to the door. Alastor stood their patiently, waiting for Gaijin, who when finally arrived, was held back by Alastor. 

With his hand on Gaijin's shoulder, he spoke heavily and calmly, "Father would like to speak with you soon. I will tell you when." 

He soon broke away from Gaijin and walked inside the room past the door. Gaijin felt a thrilling unease, as did Prometheus. They would finally meet with the man whom they recently heard so much of. He took a breath in and followed the group. 

There was no light in this room, only the light of the two Rare Men produced a light rich enough for them to use to navigate around. A cluster of scattered books, some opened, were lying on the ground. There were also unlit candles and a white platter with old leftovers on it. He could see just how small the room was and how relatively close the walls were to each other. The walls and ceilings were rocky just like the tunnel which preceded it. Even the odor gave the impression of earth and damp minerals.

They did not stay long inside the room. It was just a small area which would lead them to another destination. There was a make-shift ladder which was etched into the walls. Gaijin, who now stood with Alastor behind the group, watched them as they climbed the ladder. Pontus used his power to lift Baccus upwards. 

Watching them leave, Alastor entreated Gaijin to follow along as he stood behind him, illuminating the room. Gaijin did as he said, and Alastor soon followed, abandoning this dingy and dull room. While climbing, Gaijin could perceive a warm light which hovered just above. The light emitted from a wide, circular hole in which the others climbed past. Once he reached the top of the ladder, Gaijin peeked his head halfway into the hole. He now recognized where the warm light emitted from.

He climbed the full way up and worked himself out of the dark tunnel and into a room with warm colors. This room gave a much stronger impression. There was an alignment of beauteously lit candles; some burned with a red fire, some with an orange, and some with a yellow hue, which illumined the luxurious room. 

All around the room was furniture and bookcases which were abundant in books of several forms of colors and sizes. Sizeable displays of artworks and images covered much of the walls. The room bolstered a humbling size. The ceiling was stretched wide and high several meters above them. Gaijin quickly noticed how the ceiling of the roof was transparent. He could see the sunlight was no beginning to fade, making way for the night. Every new wandering gaze revealed to him a new and different secret of the room.