Rise Of Pandora: LX. All Shall Be Well

"."

-

XVI. Stoic, approaching the third island

With a finger pointed down towards the land below, Sundahl shouted, "Look! I can see the island."

"Yes, we know," Alastor said while wiping a tear from his eye because of how quickly they were traveling. "I am just glad that we made it out of the burning sea. Is everyone okay?"

Most answered, some nodded and some simply did not respond at all due to the exhaustion of having to endure the heat and steam for as long as they did. But the dense steam faded slowly as they came close to the shoreline.

"I can finally breathe," Gaijin said quietly in relief. He promptly lifted his fingers from his nose. It was his first time speaking in a long time. During their long and arduous trip to the third island, he had confined himself mostly to silence. The others took him for a man of few and choice words and in some truth, they were not wrong. Gaijin was often to himself, joining in on conversations typically when someone would inquire a question directed towards him; Atlas was often that someone. Gaijin had been mostly in conversation with Prometheus, his closest living friend, much to the others' ignorance.

"I apologize for the unpleasantness," Atlas shared. "We did well and I am pleased that there were was not a single Deathknight or even Shadowbird. That is a good sign."

"Yes, it is. I am pleased and relieved as well," said Alastor. "The people that I could make out in the first and second islands seemed to be fine and that is good to see. I doubt they were even made aware of the havoc in the neighboring country. And that is bad but good at the same time for two simple reasons alone because since we're still working out evacuation plans we absolutely cannot afford any cause for hysteria in the islands. But it is bad because of their ignorance to the current situation."

"It's been what...four days? They would surely know by now," Maddard questioned with outrage. "How could they not know?"

"I understand your thinking, Maddard. But the islands and Shyonnississ are simply neighboring countries. Beyond that, there are no official ties between them. So say there is an ongoing catastrophe in Shyonnississ like we have now, Shyonnississ is under no obligation to warn the Rare Nations and the Rare Nations is under no obligation to aid Shyonnississ. Also, it is difficult to send and receive information because of the distance and heat created by the burning sea. Messenger birds often do get lost in the steam, and traveling by ship would take days. But, it is merely a matter of time before the citizens are informed. Do not fret, Bessarian. We will inform the magistrate as soon as we reach the citadel and we will be there soon, I assure you. Magistrates is the equivalent to the rank of the emperor in this country. He is a good man. I appointed him to his position personally. He is like your brother in some ways, their adamance is parallel," Atlas chuckled. "His name is Sebastian H. Roth. I think you will take a liking to him."

"Okay," Maddard said with a sigh.

"Pontus will take us before the citadel steps. Because we will be there within the hour, I suggest finishing the food and drinks now," Atlas stressed.

"What about you, father? I haven't seen you eat," Olympia asked with genuine concern.

"I am still in my six month fast, Dande. I have one month left. But, trust that I will be fine."

"I am not so sure, father," Baccus challenged. "With all that is happening...we will need all the strength we can get. Father, can't you break it for this emergency?"