one shot 4

Asking MJ to Prom

Strike one

I run into Academic decathelon probably 10 min late. MJ is probably gonna kill me.

"You're late," she says when I sit down.

"I'm here aren't I," I mutter under my breath.

"I heard you," she says and I roll my eyes.

She starts drilling us on English literacy and I started to feel nervous all over again. Today I was gonna ask MJ to Prom. I didn't want to do something too extreme because she'll probably just think it's stupid or something so I was just gonna ask her.

When decathelon practice was over I stayed behind and helped her pack up her flash cards.

"You know you didn't have to help me pick up like 10 cards of a table," she says picking up her bag.
"I know-"

"Peter what do you want?" She says looking very bored with the conversation.

"I wanted to know if....you were...going to...uhhh-"

"Going to...come on Peter I don't have all day," she says rolling her eyes.

My heart starts beating in my throat and my head starts thinking about all the possible ways this moment could go and all of them end with her saying no or her laughing in my face then saying no.

"See you tomorrow!" I say running out of the room and out of the school. Tomorrow is a new day.

Strike 2

The next day I walked into school with a new wave of confidence.

"So you're gonna do this?" Ned says after closing his locker after taking out this books.

"Jip I am. I'm gonna walk up to her and ask," I say.

"Go get'em dude," he says giving me a light push and I felt all my confidence melt away when I get to where she's standing by her locker. All the words got stuck in my throat like a plugged drain pipe and I wanted to throw up.

"What do you want Peter?" She said.
"How did you.."

"I know everything," she says dryly closing her locker looking at me with a blank expression.

"Look Michelle I wanted to ask you if you were...if you were," the words got stuck. She looked flawless and just plain beautiful. Even if her hair looked like a bird's nest and her cloths are wrinkled she still looked flawless.

"Yo Peter," she snapped her fingers infront of my face and I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Look the bell just rang I gotta go," she says turning around and walks of to her first class.

I look around at the empty hallway. Why is this happening to me?

When I got home I went straight to my room and went into mine and MJ's chat and type one word with the last bit of confidence in me because clearly I was getting no where with asking her in person.

Peter: Prom?

I stare at my phone for a while then I realize what I just did and I dropped my phone as if it just burnt my hand. Shit, shit, shit, shit.

I look at the text...she read it...and she's saying nothing!

The Next Day At School

I tried to avoid her the whole day. Ned is saying that I'm being stupid and she most likely didn't even understand my text but, Michelle isn't stupid and she's probably just waiting for me so she can tease me and maybe murder me for I don't know maybe "disrespecting" her or something.

I made it through the whole school day without bumping into her or actually being in the same room with her. It's amazing how some teachers believed that I was "sick" now I only had to make it outside the school yard and I'm home free.

The Next Day At School

The next day went just like yesterday and I've been doing a great job at avoiding her.

I had to make a quick stop at my locker first before I leave so I made sure I was alone then I snuck to my locker.

While I was searching around in my locker I felt light tap on my shoulder and I whipped around and almost died ten deaths.
"MJ..." I say.

"What does this mean?" She showed her phone to me where it's open on the text message.

"I...I wanted...to know...if you wanted to go to Prom...with ....me," I ask.

She stared at me almost looking for something on my face and not finding it. A frown starts to form on her face and she walks away.

Any hope I had of her saying yes was gone and I went home feeling like a giant piece of dog poo.

"Peter are you okay?" My aunt ask that night while we were eating dinner.
"Yeah," I say with a giant sigh.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I looked at my text.

MJ: My dress is going to be either salmon, royal blue or black and white so be ready for either one I'll let you know when I made up my mind. And I don't want to be swung across the sky to Prom an uber would be just fine

I look up from my phone with probably the biggest smile ever and suddenly things felt like they were finally working in my favour.