Don't Be Scared

(Mark's POV) 

I told Jack about the job, and he asked if I was sure. 

"Why wouldn't I be?" 
"Just wonderin'. That means ya won't be here fer the night." 
"Not true. It's only from midnight to six in the morning. Not that long." 
"Oh. So you'll be home by about six-thirty?" 
"Yeah." 
"Okay." 

So, I called the number given on the application. 

"Hello?" a man started. "Hello, Hello? Hi, I'm Phone Guy. Pleasure to meet you. I'm guessing you're calling about the nightshift job?" 
"Yes," I replied. "Is it still available?" 
"Yes, it is. I just need your name, please." 
"Mark." 
"Alright, Mark, I'll go over rules and regulations tonight, when you get there." 
"Wait, tonight? It's already eleven thirty." 
"Well..." 
"Fine... I'll come in tonight." 

I slipped on my pastel pink sweater and black jeans and began driving to the place. Once I got in the office, the phone went off. It was that phone guy again. 

"Now, just pre-warning," he started. "The animatronics tend to be a little bit active... But there's nothing to worry about. All they want are friends, so don't be afraid." 

The call ended. Am I correct, or did he say they're ACTIVE!? I checked security cameras and saw the four animatronics standing completely still... for a second. Then, the purple bunny, Bonnie as he was called, looked straight at the camera. 

"What the literal fu-" 

The camera went out, making me scared. I tried to call Jack and tell him the situation. But, Freddy appeared in front of me, scaring me enough to drop the phone. 

"AHHHHHH!!!!!!!" I screamed in fear. 

Freddy backed up and ran. I could hear all four of them in the hall, but I was too scared to listen. As I tried to calm down, Chica popped out from in front of me. I went to run, but she scratched my arm trying to catch me. 

"Oops," I heard her say. 

By now, I was hiding behind the desk. 

"Please, we don't want to hurt you," she said. 

Was this what the phone guy was talking about? Don't be scared? Well, they're really scary looking, so that's hard. I slowly got up to see all four of them in there. I crouched back down in fear. 

"Are you alright," Bonnie asked. "Don't be afraid, we just wanna play!" 

I stayed there, hoping they'd leave. Suddenly, the lights turned on and I saw the dayshift guard there. 

"OH THANK GOD," I cried. 
"What's wrong, man," he asked. "You okay?" 
"It's six a.m. ..." 

I rushed out of there, hoping to be able to explain to Jack about the cuts. Once I got home, I saw Jack sitting in a chair, waiting for me. 

"Hey, hun, how was-" 

His eyes darted to my arm. He looked angry. 

"What happened," he demanded. "Did this happen while ya were at work?" 
"Yeah..." 
"How?" 
"I'm not going to that job again, if that's what you're trying to say." 
"Damn right, yer not. I'm contactin' yer boss and givin' him an earful of me!" 

Before he typed in the number, I told him not to get too angry. He didn't make promises about it, though. After a minute, the phone guy answered. 

"Hello?" He asked innocently. 
"This is Mark's employer, is it not," Jack growled. 
"Mark? Mark, Mark, Mark.... Ah! Yes. I am." 
"Well, listen here, bud," Jack angrily said. "He got hurt last night. He won't be comin' back to that damned restaurant." 
"He didn't listen to my instructions then... I said don't be scared, and he got scared." 
"How tha' fook can ya not be scared if somethin' hurts ya!?" 
"Had he not been scared, it wouldn't've happened. But, if he's quitting, I'll just find another night shift who will listen." 

The call ended. Jack was mad, but I was able to calm him down. 

"Are ya sure ya don't wanna do anythin'?" he asked. 
"Yes," I replied. "People will know eventually that the job is hopeless, and he'll be out of people soon enough... I've actually heard online today that people have gotten killed working there." 
"Ugh... I'm glad you weren't..." 

I smiled and snuggled with him on the couch. We turned on the TV and watched cartoons while eating popcorn. It was about eight in the morning when we decided to go to bed.
Jack posted on his Twitter that we had a really rough night and we were taking the day off. Some were upset, others told us to take all the time we needed. 

"You know, you could still make a video," I told Jack. 
"I'd rather be taking care of you," he smiled. "I'll more than likely upload a pre-made video. It'll be fine." 
"Okay..." 

And with that, we fell asleep.