13: siblings

The dinner with the Murphy's was oddly peaceful. Mostly because Larry wasn't there. Larry strived to be the best father he could be, yet sometimes.. it just wasn't enough. He made mistakes often, such as getting in arguments just because of Connor smoking weed, claiming that it was 'tearing the family apart'. Larry wanted to be a good dad, and he wanted to be there for his son. But he couldn't find a way. Cynthia and Zoe did most of the talking, their mother-daughter bond was unbreakable.
     "So, what about this Evan boy? You said you and him were friends?" Cynthia asked, a brow raised. The mention of Evan's name caught his attention. Why do you even care, Connor? He thought. Zoe's cheeks heated up. She wore a smile that she could always pull off without even trying.
     "Yeah. We're friends."
     "More than that?" Cynthia asked, a brow raised. Her voice was like a teasing manner. Connor just felt his blood boil slightly.
     "Mom, no! He's nice, but definitely not my type."
     "You know I don't care about you dating a boy, Zoe. As long as he isn't a trouble maker," Cynthia went on. Connor realized that he was a 'troublemaker'. And he could never be seen with a guy like Evan Hansen. A mix of frustration and sadness swept over his mood. "Honey, are you okay?" Connor's thoughts subsided.
     "I'm done. I'm too full to eat." Connor said in a low voice, pushing in the wooden chair under him in. He needed to shut them out for the night before someone got hurt. Connor didn't want to harm his family members anymore. Emotionally or physically.
     "But, Connor. You didn't even touch your—"
     "Goodnight. Bye ma'." Connor was already halfway up the stairs. He entered his room and slammed the door. He heard a hint of conversation before he blurred out the voices.
     "Do you know what's making him act like this?"
     "... no clue." Zoe said with uncertainty, yet almost sounding like she knew exactly what was going on.
     Connor sat in a ball on his unmade bed. He felt tears threaten to spill from his eyes. What the fuck is wrong with you, you freak? You don't deserve anything. You don't deserve Evan. You don't deserve Zoe, all you ever do is fuck up. You fuck everything up. Even if you don't try it. You don't deserve anything. Connor stared at his feet, the phrases continuing to go through his head. The voices got louder and louder, Connor couldn't take it anymore. He just allowed the tears to stream down his face. Connor didn't even hear the knock on the door, followed by his younger sister's gentle voice. He glanced up, his eyes trailing to the door.
     "Connor, are you okay? What's wrong?" He could tell just by her voice, she was hurting too. She hated seeing her brother like this.
     "Fuck off." Connor said in a choked voice, not even thinking about what he was saying. Venom was laced through his tone. Zoe seemed a bit in shock, but opened the door anyway. "I told you to piss off, Zoe!" He shot her eye daggers. Zoe seated on the edge of the  bed next to her older sibling. Zoe attempted to rest a hand on Connor's back, but he slapped it away. She frowned. "Don't touch me."
     "Connor, I just.. want to—"
     "Just what?!" Connor lashed out at her involuntarily. Her expression morphed into a mix of fear, sadness, and maybe a bit frustrated.
     "I just want to help you, Connor! Damn it! I love you, but you won't let me help you out!"
     "Help me?! Just mind your own business! I don't need you to help me!" He screamed.
     "You obviously need help! You're crying for no reason in your room!" Zoe yelled with the same volume. Connor went mute for a split second. His voice turned cold and unwelcoming.
     "Get. Out." He growled, giving her a warning before he would explode. Zoe's face spelt out the definition of heartbroken. She then glared, standing up.
     "You know," she spoke, now in the doorway, "I thought we were getting along alot better. I was wrong." She then made an exit. Connor stared into space, contemplating his decisions.
                 And Connor thought so too.

// well would ya look at the murphy siblings angst woooo,, anyway!! credit to @ skeletrose on tumblr for the amazing fan art! would you like to see more fan art in my chapters? or less?