18; video games

Connor, Jared, and Evan received the brisk flow of wind across their revealed skin as the trio set off to the school. The leaves danced down to the ground, stacking in piles in yards. Connor strummed with the inside of his pocket, while Jared was discussing a new video game with Evan. Connor remembered he used to like video games when he was a lot younger. Around elementary times he would always arrive anxiously in the basement, sitting in front of the newly bought Xbox. He shoved his homework away from his mindset and smashed the controller for hours on end. Connor wondered when he grew out of that hobby, and why. He missed those days. Sometimes Zoe would join him, even.
    "H-Hey, Connor?" Evan brought him back to reality. Connor realized he had zoned out for a moment there. "You okay?" Connor only nodded.
     "Yeah.. was just— thinking." He added, not going into specifics. Evan didn't say anything in response, not wanting to come off as nosy and ask about what he was thinking.
     "My parents sold my Xbox about a week ago since I haven't used it in forever." Jared continued to their conversation. Evan's face spelt out deep disappointment. Then an idea popped into Connor's head.
     "I have an Xbox, if you guys want to use it. You just need to bring over the game disc." Connor saw the family friends' faces light up.
     "Sweet." Jared said with a grin. "Me and Evan will stop at Gamestop, then we'll come over to your house. How does that sound?" Jared already knew on a Monday night Heidi would be working late at the hospital, so it was safe to assume Evan was free. Connor nodded.
     "Sounds good." Connor commented with a shrug. He didn't even know if his parents were able to let them come over, but Connor didn't care. Larry and Cynthia would have to go with the flow, and deal with it. Connor glanced off to the other edge of the street, watching the tallest tree sway back and forth swiftly. His eyes returned to the two, "What's this game you guys are so hyped about anyway?" Connor asked, curiously.
     "W-Well, it's—"
     "Apocalypse of the Damned; the Sequel!" Jared interrupted. "Me and Evan used to play it all the time as kids when our parents got together to hang out or whatever." Jared added.
     "That was pretty fun, actually." Evan remembered when they were that age, always excitedly running down the stairs to play the gory and graphic game that was not suitable for their age.
     "Me and Zoe used to always play video games after school," he smiled softly, "but whenever she won the round I would pull her hair over and over again." Connor jokes. Evan laughed along, assuming it was a sibling thing, and Connor felt his cheeks turn red at his laugh. Evan turned to Jared who raised his eyebrows.
     "What?" Evan asked, clueless. Jared just shook his head. The trio entered the high school, going their separate ways. They had fifteen minutes exact to gather their materials for first period, which was unluckily gym for the three. Bringing your items was unnecessary since it wasn't needed for gym class. Connor just dropped off his backpack, slammed the locker, and placed his hands in his pocket. Connor spotted Zoe, Jared, and Evan conversing. And the unwelcome feeling of jealousy bottled up inside his body.
     "Hey." Connor said dully.
     "Hey, Connor." Evan returned a slight smile. Connor felt the sides of his mouth forming the same expression, and he tried to resist the urge to. Evan felt his cheeks heat up.
      Wait why are you blushing what's going on no why are your hands sweaty is it because Zoe is here I mean she's right there and she's probably staring at me confused and worried and she's going to think I'm weird but why am I blushing it's only Connor I shouldn't be nothing embarrassing is going on why am I like thi.. Evan rambled in his head. A hand waved frantically in front of him, inches from his face.
     "Hello, hello. Earth to tree boy." Jared gave him a weird look. Evan noticed his hands were sweating even more now, as he noticed the Murphy siblings were looking at him both worried and perplexed.
     "O-Oh, sorry.." Evan muttered, fidgeting with his cast. Connor snickered for a moment, admiring how cute he was, before returning to conversation.
     "Well, I better get going. Alana wanted to meet me for something important." Zoe waved, and strolled off. Jared had a knowing grin.
     "Oh, no.." Connor knew that grin far too well. "What's going on?.." Evan looked just as confused.
     "Let's just say... Alana's a huge lesbian." Jared gestured to a distant Zoe and a flustered Alana. At that moment Evan's heart sunk deep in his body
// ok so sorry for late updates?? uh i was actually at this walking dead cruise so i wasn't able to update but hey!!! i'm literally like 20 chapters ahead from where i am right now, since i write in advance (oops) but just letting y'all know that it's a slow build, not a huge surprise. just wanted to let you guys know so you don't think it's clickbait or smth.