10. Moving In

It feels like eons since the Sparked Mafia attacked me.
It feels like eons that I've been in the hospital.

In reality it was a few days, but it was enough bedrest to last me a month. I hate staying put for too long; my body craves movement and exercise, hence why I'm hungry all the time.

Now, as I pack up my stuff, nostalgia fills me and a part of me wants to go back to the hospital because staying there meant I was still living with my dad.

Even though I found a great place, I've always dreaded the time where I move out because I'm scared that Appa will have difficulty going to work and maintaining the house by himself.

I've encouraged him to get a maid or helper for the house chores, but he insisted that Eomma would hate having another woman in the house when she's not there.

I remember one time I asked him why he never got another girlfriend, but he said unless he finds someone he'll end up loving naturally he won't go searching for a partner.

I thought it was an excuse not to talk to women because he was scared, but now I see how genuine his love for my mother is.

He's forever loyal to her.

+++

"Is this the last box?" Jimin asks as he tapes it shut.

I nod, yawning a bit because we've been doing this since yesterday. "The majority of them are in the truck, but there's a few lying around."

He seems to get the message. "I'll help find and bring them down."

"Thanks."

After the truck is loaded, the driver drives off to the destination.

"Appa, I have to go now. The driver won't be able to unload without the apartment key."

He nods. "I have to go to the hospital, but I'll visit as soon as I can." He plants a kiss on my forehead before I leave, and I turn to look at the house one last time. This is the last time I'll be in this house that I live here.

Jimin puts his hand on my shoulder as a way of comforting me and I smile at him, inhaling once more before leaving.

+++

By the time all the boxes are in my new house, it's 6 PM and I'm exhausted. We've spent the last two days hauling around all my belongings and I'm sick of it.

I look around at the clean, empty apartment that I fell in love with. I imagine all the things I could do here, all the fun to be had, all the memories to be made. The thought calms me a bit.

"Kyung Mi!" Someone calls and I immediately feel happier.

"Ugh, Hye, thank you for coming." We hug in greeting and I collapse onto her small frame.

"Of course, dummy. You eat something and I'll start unpacking."

I give her a look thanking her for her existence as I grab my keys. "Jimin, come on, let's go. How does fast food sound, Hye?"

She gives a thumbs up as she gets a box cutter, slicing open the tape used to secure my stuff inside.

I thought she would be quiet until we left, but she mutters, "get me Burger King."

I chuckle and we leave.