19. UNO

Jimin POV

That night, as I scroll through my phone, I think about the events that happened today.

Was it really okay to scare her like that?

As if reading my thoughts, Kyung Mi brings up the topic.

"Hey, Jimin?"

"Hm?"

"The guy at the café...what did he look like?" She asks.

"Uh, he was wearing a big old sweatshirt with the hood up, and there wasn't any indication that he was in the Sparked Mafia, but-"

"Didn't you say that there was a spark on his shirt? You know, the sign that he's in the Sparked Mafia?"

Shit.

Lie!

My instincts urge me to come up with something-anything-so as to let me off the hook. But my morals tell me to give in and tell the truth.

So what do I do?

I stay quiet, of course.

"By any chance, were you lying?" Hesitation laces her concern, wondering whether or not she is crossing the line by insinuating there was even a reason for me to do so.

"No." I manage to croak out.

"Then why are you sweating?"

That's it. I'm screwed.

Kyung Mi POV

It makes no sense. Why would he lie to me about the people trying to attack me?

The atmosphere is silent for a while. "Jimin?" I ask. But there's no response.

Before I can get out the truth from his silent lips, the door is swung open.

"Kung Me...what a funny name! Kung Me, Kung Me, KUNG ME!" A girl I don't recognize comes stumbling in, followed by two familiar faces.

"Jina, Eunji, what are you guys doing here?" I ask, confused beyond recognition.

"Kyung Mi, this is Mae. Mae, this is Kyung. Mi. Not Kung Me." Eunji says hurriedly. "Great, now that you're acquainted, can she sleep here?"

"Huh? Wha-why?"

"She's obviously drunk." Jimin states. "You can tell by her slurred voice and-" he plugs his nose, "the smell, goodness!"

"Yeah, we found her like this, trudging drunk around campus." Jina explains. "We couldn't just leave her, but it's hard to transport a drunk girl, and your apartment was just really close, so-"

"Okay, I get it." I say quietly. "She can stay here."

Jimin chuckles. "Here, I'll show her to the guest room." He and Jina take Mae out the door and Eunji turns to me, face showing gratitude.

"Thanks, Kyung Mi. You're the best."

"Oh, it's nothing." I smile sadly. "You should always help people who are vulnerable."

Something churns in my insides, pulling a tear from my eye. "Hey," Eunji runs to me, wrapping her arms around my limp body. "You okay?"

I wipe the tear away and smile at her, making sure to look sincerely happy with my eyes. It's the face I've been making for a long time to hide the sadness.

"Yeah. I'm okay." I say softly.

I hear soft footsteps and my room door is opened. "Hey, Kyung Mi!" Jimin says happily. "We found an UNO deck*, wanna play?"