11. Orientation

I wake up with warmth spreading across my tired body, and a smile spreads on my face from the sunshine spilling from my window.

I hear yawning before Jimin stretches in the seat in front of my bed.

"Morning, Jimin."

I close my half-open eye and attempt to get comfortable again before he curses.

"Uh, Kyung Mi, what time were you supposed to get ready?"

"8 o'clock at the latest. Why?"

"Er...it's 8:40 almost..."

Even the birds outside could hear my terrorized scream that day.

+++

My breathing is heavy as I drive, not because we had to rush to get ready, but because I am going to what will be my school for the years to come.

"Don't be nervous, Kyung Mi." He says softly.

"Jimin, what if I don't make any friends?"

He chuckles. "Then you beat them up until they agree to hang out with you."

When we reach a stoplight, I punch his arm.

"Ow!"

"I'm being serious, Jimin."

"So am I. You pack a powerful punch!" He mutters, "literally."

When we reach the university, I sign in and a lady gives me my name tag.

"Please go to the group over there." She gestures to a circle of people on my left. "Those are the other biology majors."

"Thank you!" Jimin and I walk to them.

"...pretty hot." A girl with short pink hair tells a girl next to her.

"Ooh, are we talking about boys? Who is it?" I jump in, and they both turn around to look at me.

"And you are?" The second girl says, part annoyed, part amused.

I laugh. "Sorry about that, I just got excited. I'm Kyung Mi."

She grins. "No need to apologize. I'm Eunji, and this is Jina." She refers to the girl with pink hair, who waves.

"We were talking about that tall redhead over there." Jina whispers, pointing to a man who surely lives up to their description.

Bushy red hair covers his small eyes, and when he looks at me I lose all ability to think. I have to stop myself from smiling.

Eunji nudges me. "Stop staring, you're being obvious."

I quickly look at her and fake a laugh, to which she gives me a confused look.

"I'm pretending you just said a joke because guys typically think it's pretty when a girl laughs." I mutter.

Jina snorts. "If that were the case I'd be married by now. But boys hate my gross laugh."

I put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm terribly sorry."

She smacks my hand away. "I don't need your sarcasm."

I chuckle for real this time as the group leader calls for our attention.

+++

As we walk to the room where we'll hear another lecture, Eunji nudges me. "When's your birthday, by the way? Just curious."

I subtly glance at Jimin, not wanting him to know. I whisper it in her ear, and, thankfully, he doesn't hear.

"What? What was that?" Jimin says, perking up at the chance of hearing the answer.

I laugh and push his face away. "Shove off, kid."

He pouts as Jina suddenly trips.

But she fell so loudly that the entire group turned around at the fall.

"Scientists, what do you observe about this situation?" The group leader says.

Some of the kids, including myself, roll their eyes as Eunji and I pull her up.

"If you're going into the medical field, I'd suggest you be more attentive." She continues.

"What's the big deal? She just tripped." I say, annoyed.

"What she did was set an example to the group of what not to be." The leader sneers. "What's your name, kid?"

"J-Jina." She whispers, embarrassed.

"Well, Jina, I'd suggest you look where you're going next time. A mistake like that? It could ruin a surgery. It could give wrong information in your presentation as a biochemist. Stay sharp or this major isn't for you."

"Dang, it's still orientation, cool your jets, woman." Eunji replies with a sneer.

The bitch doesn't even bother replying—she just turns on her heel and beckons the group to follow her. Everyone does, except for Eunji, Jina, Jimin and I.

I can see a tear in her eye, but she looks away when she notices I'm looking at her.

"Please, don't look at me." She sniffles and walks off, and I run to her and give her a back hug.

"People with a common enemy become allies. That lady is our enemy, but, from this point forward, we're more than allies. We're friends."