52. Decisions

I look out the window, preoccupied, as Hye's dad and Soomin leave. Jimin comes up to me.

"Kyung Mi? Something wrong?"

"I think Dong Yoo deserves to know the truth." I say with finality. The thought's been on my mind ever since we found out about In Su. "He thought In Su was his friend. He should know his true identity."

Jimin puts his hand on my shoulder. "Okay. If you think that's best, you should tell him."

I look over and smile at him. "Thanks." His approval is all I need, so I run over to my phone and call up my friend.

"Dong Yoo? Hey."

"Hey, Kyung Mi, what's up?"

"Can we talk?"

He chuckles. "We're talking now, aren't we?"

"I mean in person. It's important."

"Kyung Mi, your voice is scaring me. What happened?"

"Don't worry, no one's hurt or anything like that. I just want to tell you something."

"Okay, I'll come over."

+++

Dong Yoo heaves a sigh. "I mean, it makes sense. After all, he did just disappear suddenly. Turns out he went to jail." His eyes lock with the ground as he frowns. "I thought I could trust him. I thought he was my friend."

"I know. Losing a good friend is such a hard thing to go through." I put my hand on his and squeeze reassuringly. He smiles.

"At least I still have you, though."

I grin. "Yeah. You'll always have me."

He looks away for a minute. "Do you know why he's a member? Do you think...do you think he was always part of them?" He makes eye contact. "Do you think he was a member when I met him?"

"Probably." Namjoon says, nodding. "My guess is he got closer to you as a way to gain intel on Kyung Mi."

Dong Yoo nods. "So all that stuff about his family was made up?" he says to himself.

"What family stuff?" Jimin asks as we all perk up. At this point, any information about a Sparked Mafia member is valuable.

"Well, he was always telling me about how things were hard at home. He told me he lives with his grandparents since he was orphaned at a young age. But his grandpa died, too, and his grandma is sick, so he's in charge of the house."

"Damn." I say, unable to help myself. "If that's true, it wouldn't be a surprise that In Su'd be willing to join a blackmailing company. They pay their people well."

Jimin nods. "I almost feel bad for the asshole." There's a glint of anger in Dong Yoo's eyes, probably from the fact that this guy used to be his friend. "What?" Jimin asks, "he broke into Kyung Mi's apartment with a gun. I don't care how bad his situation is; attempted murder is unacceptable."

"Regardless of the ethics of his decisions," Namjoon starts with an edge to his voice, attempting to cool down the situation, "now we have some insight into his home life. Think we can coax some information out of him with it?"

"We can try." I say excitedly, ready to confront In Su once again.

+++

When we went to visit Jimin's cop friend, we show him recordings of conversations that could be used as evidence against the Sparked Mafia, like Hye's dad's memory; we also show him the letter Appa left for me under the table.