[4] They came in the night.

CHAPTER 4

Charlie's POV  

            By the time I got home from the grove I was in hysterics. I slammed the door to the tiny apartment and slid down to the floor. "Charlie?" I heard running footsteps and Brandon came into the room. "What happened?" I shook with the sobs. "S-Saw h-her." I felt Brandon pick me up and walked over to the couch, We sat down and he waited for me to tell him. "Charlie, calm down. Talk to me." I pulled away and wiped my face, pulling out my phone and shoving the image of the picture I'd taken into his face. "I saw her. She talked to me she didn't recognize me at all." Brandon sighed, "Charlie it's been what,  ten years since she saw you?" I nodded, "I'm not defending her for anything besides the fact that recognizing someone after ten years who is now a teenager is basically impossible." I nodded, "I know that, there's just a part of me that wishes she did and the rest of me is glad she didn't." Brandon hugged me, "It's gonna be okay." 

~*~

           Two days after I saw Demi in the grove, they came in the night. 

"CRASH." My eyes flew open when I heard the sound of Brandon's front door being kicked in. Beside me, Brandon woke with a start, "What the fuck is going on?!" He yelled as flashlights flooded the room. I looked up and saw three policemen standing there with the beams trained on us. "Are you Charlotte Lovato?" Before I had time to answer, one of them had me in handcuffs on the bed. "What the fuck>@" Brandon roared, and lunged at the cop holding me. He was quickly restrained by two others. "Let's go Miss Lovato. We have to take you back to the orphanage, someone wants to adopt you!" I collapsed then, reached out to Brandon blindly, "NO! DON'T LET THEM TAKE ME BRANDON PLEASE." He struggled against both of the burly man's hold. "I'm sorry Charlie! I'm sorry."  I continued kicking and screaming and crying the entire way to the police car parked outside. I sobbed as we pulled away, knowing where I was going and who was waiting for me, Demi.

~*~
Demi's POV 

           I sat impatiently at the orphanage waiting for the police to bring Charlotte here. They'd apparently been looking for her for the past four years, and finally on a whim they'd sent cars to all of the malls with her picture. I know she won't want to talk with me but I want to be in her life. A squad car pulled up, and a girl with her hood up covering her face got out, an officer took her handcuffs off and pointed towards the orphanage. She shook her head but you could see the cop insisting. I was just about to walk out there when she stomped up the walkway into the building. I stood, and wrung my hands nervously, "Charlotte?" The girl looked up and I stepped back, "Mary?" 

          She shook her head, "No. It's Charlie." I gaped for a second, "H-How?" She snorted, a cruel and cold laugh, "Maybe if you stuck around for longer than ten minutes you'd know." I closed my mouth and nodded, letting her win that one. Mrs. Carter, the woman who runs the orphanage came bustling into the room, "Oh thank God you're okay! Now Charlie, you can't go running off, Demi is taking you home." I could see her face fall, "Whatever." I awkwardly stood there, feeling the tension in the air, "Well... I assume you don't need to get your stuff, and I already signed the papers so I guess we can go now." Charlotte shot me daggers with her eyes and turned on her heel, walking quickly out of the orphanage. I sighed, this was going to be tough.              

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 Comment + Voteee! 

-Rachel