Together At Last: Chapter 18

^play song

Nathan's POV
Madison.

That was the first thing that came to mind as I tried to figure out if I was actually dead or not. I could feel the heat circulating around me indicating there was a fire. After about half a dozen tries my eyes finally but painfully flutter open and I take a good look around me. The smell of gas hit my nose instantly making it known that I had to get out of there as soon as possible.

My body was numb, the feeling in it completely gone. I wasn't in pain nor could I feel if I was actually hurt. That didn't matter at the moment as I begin to reach for the buckle. The car was completely flipped upside down which made it ten times harder. To make matters even worse I see small pieces of glass stuck in my arm from the drivers seat shattered window.

I get the seat belt unbuckled, crashing to the ground as it released me. The fire was right behind me by the passengers side. I slowly climb out the broken window and into the outside. All that was visible were trees and more trees but I still ran as fast as I could towards the sound of the cars driving in the busy the street.

It was pitch black outside as the moon appeared and disappeared from my sight because of the tall huge trees. I need to warn them. Before it's to late.

*boom!*

I trip over a rock at the sound of the explosion, looking back realizing it was my car. All I could think about is what if I didn't make it out in time as my feet started running again as I got back up. The trees finally faded and I was met with speeding cars driving along the road.

I needed help bad but the only thing on my mind was finding a phone to call McKenzie. My eyes froze as they landed on a gas station right across the street from me. This was a busy road but I made a run for it as soon as I had the chance.

*Beep! Beep! Beep!*

"Get out the middle of the road you freak!"

It's amazing how people wouldn't even think to help seeing the condition I'm in. I make it fully across the street and walk into the gas station panting, rushing to the front desk.

"I-I need to use your phone, please"

My voice came out unknowingly raspy. The man looked at me worriedly not long before responding.

"Are you ok dude?"

"I just need to use your phone"

"Oh oh of course here"

The store was practically deserted as it was only one person in the back of the store looking at drinks. He handed me his phone quickly and I immediately dialed McKenzies number. It eventually went to voice mail and I freaked.

"No no no no no, c'mon!"

I say, dialing her number again waiting for our lines to connect. The call went through as I sighed in relief.

"Um hello?"

"McKenzie it's Nathan, where is your mom?"

"With me right now why?"

She says confused.

"I need you to listen to me closely okay?"

"Okay"

"Are you guys at your apartment or at home?"

"My apartment"

It felt as another burden had been lifted off of my shoulders, knowing it would be easier for Natalie to get to them if they were at Madison's house.