Chapter One

I bustled around the mall, mentally going through my list. Christmas was two weeks away and I was finishing my shopping. Around the mall, kids ran yelling, paying no heed to their parents. A group of carolers sang Deck the Halls from below, their voices carrying up to the top floors. Christmas lights and tinsel glimmered in the afternoon light, and the smell of hot chocolate and cookies wafted through the air. I paused by a cutout of a reindeer and dug around in my bags making sure I had all my presents.

Ukulele case for Thomas? Check.

Makeup for Talyn? Check.

Okay, now I just need the beanie for Joan and I'm done! I smiled with satisfaction. Thomas, Joan, and Talyn were my best friends, but buying for them could be impossible sometimes.

As I made my way to the clothing store, I spotted a poster in the book store's window.

"THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY," the poster screamed at me. I read the summary and looked at the author.

This looks interesting, I thought to myself as I took out my phone. I snapped a picture of the poster for later. I picked up my bags and made to go but barely made it two feet before I smacked into a stranger. I stumbled back a little and heard a cry of pain. Regaining my bearings, I saw that the man who I had bumped into was now covered in hot chocolate.

He panted, trying to get the steaming liquid off of him. I dug through my backpack and found some extra tissues, helping to dab at his clothing, all the while muttering "sorry" over and over again. Finally, the stranger calmed and stood up.

"I am profusely sorry," I told him, embarrassed.

"It's okay," he told me, flashing me a smile. Now that we weren't freaking out, I had realized the stranger was actually quite attractive. He was an inch or two taller than me. His hair was swept perfectly to the side, allowing his chocolate brown eyes to glint in the light. A broad chest complimented his chiseled jawline. He wore a, now-stained, red t-shirt with white jeans and white Converse.

"Are you okay?" He asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh y-yeah, sorry," I apologized again, a blush climbing my cheeks. Why did this handsome stranger have me so flustered? I wasn't usually like this.

"I'm Logan Sanders," I said, offering my hand.

"Sanders?" He asked, seemingly surprised.

"Yes?"

"That's so funny! My last name is Sanders too. Roman," he said, shaking my hand.

Roman. It suits him, I thought absentmindedly.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Logan," Roman told me, grabbing his things.

"Wait!" He stopped and looked at me with a small smile. "U-um, I feel really bad about your hot chocolate. Can I buy you another one? Please," I asked.

"Well I'm not one to turn down a free drink," Roman told me with a wink. I laughed a little and we headed over to the cafe. It was small but very cozy. A fire blazed in the hearth and the tables all had a bit of holly in the center.

"Would you like to find a table and I can order?" Roman smiled and agreed, heading off to sit down. I watched his retreating back and couldn't help but grin a little, but then immediately frowned. What was happening? I had just met Roman, feelings didn't develop that quickly. Right?

I got in line for our drinks and attempted to puzzle out my troubling emotions. I finally made it to the front and quickly ordered.

"A small hot chocolate with whipped cream and mini marshmallows," I told the barista who wrote down Roman's order.

"Anything else?"

"A small black coffee," I finished.

"Name please?" I gave her my name and paid, buying a small packet of cookies as well. The drinks came out after two or three minutes and I picked up the steaming cups, heading over to find Roman.

"Hey Logan," Roman said, waving me over to the table. It was in the corner, the fire on the left and the window on the right. I placed our drinks on the table and sat down, suddenly nervous again. Roman and I sat in a small silence, but it didn't last long. For some reason, talking with him felt so easy. It was comforting.

Too soon, we had finished our drinks and the cookies. I checked my watch and realized we had been chatting for almost two hours.

"I'm afraid I have to go Roman. But perhaps we can do this again?" I asked hopefully. His face lit up and he quickly scribbled something down on a slip of paper.

"Here," he told me, handing me the paper. "Call me, okay?"

"Of course," I told him, blushing a little. We said our goodbyes and I headed outside into the mall parking lot. The wind nipped at me but the cold couldn't compete with the warmth in my heart.