You Best Run

I was rapidly closing in on the Royal carriage when it happened.

A plume of fire and smoke exploded out of the large armoury tent and lit up the night sky. This time the entire camp was running towards it. Because this time it was a threat and not a distraction. Not only this, but it was burning valuable armour and weaponry.

I had to give it to John. He had played this one well because they had to put that fire out before they prioritised anything else. That meant divided troops.

I picked up a semi run in my heavy armour and rounded the last tent to see seven remaining royal guards crowded tensely around the gold carriage with pikes drawn. Before I could join them, two guards suddenly turned their own pikes on the soldiers around them. 

I didn't blink. I ran into the fray and kicked a drawn pike away from a confused guard. I skewered him like a  pig and twisted away in a blink to elbow the other guard in the head. His helmet knocked to the side and I pinned him to the carriage with a hidden dagger.

I yanked my pike out of the man's lower abdomen, below the exposed chest plate and spun the pike to block a swipe at my back. Kaden grabbed his unguarded neck behind him and took him off his feet entirely. Before the man could even scream, he punched a pike through him like he was no more than a lump of lard.

I drew back as his corpse slumped to the ground. Blood coated my gleaming armour. My companions looked identical. Three crimson knights of death. I flicked my helmet off with vigour.

"Shall we gents?" I grinned as I drew out a set of keys.

The answering shouts were enough for me to run towards the locked back doors.

* * * * *

We packed the saddle bags full of gold coins and ornate jewels. But we couldn't lose our minds to the riches now. Now we had to run.

Shouts started rising from behind me and I turned to see several soldiers spot the bodies around us. I jumped into my saddle and Kaden and John did the same. The remains of our armour was piled in a bloody heap. Our horses did not need the added weight. 

Kaden and John kicked their steeds into gallop and tore through a small tent. I made to join them but a glint through the smoke caught my eyes. A diamond in the chaos. The Captain of the troop suddenly tore through the smoke on her own horse with riders on both sides.

Damn Odin's throne.

I kicked my horse on and raced after Kaden and John. I broke through tents and campfires and finally broke into the wide expanse of the grassy field. When the smoke cleared I made out John and Kaden not far ahead. I threw  a look behind me to see the Captain in hot pursuit with four other riders.

"Five on our tail!" I called ahead.

Kaden's massive form threw a fist in the air. I recognised the move instantly. We all did. I smiled as I suddenly broke off to the left. John broke right and Kaden continued onwards to the forest.

The fools behind had no idea what they were getting themselves into. Because now they did not have numbers and fortifications. Now they were in our playing field. 

As predicted, the group behind me broke into two parts and pursued mine and John's trail. They would not risk the forest at night. For all they knew, we had others waiting in ambush. What they did not realise was that we were the ambush...

I kicked my horse on, leading the three riders further from the camp and East. John would have his three going West. I slowly drew them closer to the forest line and moved my hand into my saddlebag. It wasn't the gold I sought but the small parcel like shape John had given me before we mounted. An arrow shot past me and embedded itself into the tree. I shook my head and turned to see the Captain with a crossbow in hand.

You wouldn't be in such a good spot with me holding that, Captain. I thought smugly before I threw the small leather pouch and bright red smoke exploded behind my stallion. I heard horses whinny and cry in fear behind me. John had mention how horses think it the same as fire and spook to the point of throwing riders off.

I broke into a laugh when I saw that very thing happen. The captain and her other soldiers flew from their horses as they bucked and kicked in surprise and terror.

I could practically feel the burning hate from the Captain from my galloping horse.

I pulled on the reins and lead us back into the forest. John would have easily lost his pursuers. He had far more than just smoke pouches and I know he wouldn't resist using far more than necessary to dismount them. 

I found Kaden at the rock peak we agreed upon minutes later.

He held up a fist at my approach and I did the same to let him know it was friendly. I saw he had all of our hidden gear secured back on his horse and had to congratulate him for the foresight to get it in our escape through the forest. 

A cackling laugh boomed out of him when he saw John approach from the darkness moments later. John was caked in Reds, greens and orange and wore a shameless grin like a child.

"Gods, John must I even ask what you did to those poor soldiers." I said through a stifled laugh.

"Smoke, fire and so much more Tay. I have not had such fun since our adventure in Ravensbrooke." He sniggered.

"Save your tale for the fire. We need to clear good ground before they remount and attempt to track us."

"Won't be much good in the dark." Kaden grunted.

"Let us not test the fates." I answered.

They nodded in agreement and we all drew our horses into a less frantic pace further into the forest. 

We had done it. I thought after the whole night had began to sink in. We had stolen six saddlebags in total filled with treasures fit for the King himself. Literally. We had slowed our horses down into a simple trot through the dark to make the weight less difficult to bear.

"You boys truly are the greatest friends I have ever known." I suddenly said. "What you risked tonight, what we accomplished... no other could do such a thing."

"No other is mad enough to try!" Kaden boomed with a throaty laugh.

John grinned back at us in the darkness. "Stealing from the king; from a troop of Royal guards no less with but three of us?" He mused. "It was hardly fair on the opposition." He dismissed with a wave.

I chuckled. "Burned an armoury to the ground too. Gods how they will want our heads for this..." I muttered. "You should have witnessed the death on the Captain's face when she was thrown from her mount."

"Not as vengeful as the three I burned, smoked, dismounted and cursed at." John stated from up front.

"Perhaps we will get the chance to see those expressions once more when they come hunting for us in the local towns." Kaden said hopefully.

I shook my head. "We are devils in human form. If not that then we are something else entirely."

The others agreed with me happily as if it was the greatest complement that could be given. Maybe they were right. At least we weren't dull...