A Sailor's Life For We

"Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But the captain had long ago decided that he would, on the whole, prefer to achieve immortality by not dying." 

― Terry Prachett, The Colour Of Magic 

The sun beat down heavy on the white sails above as men and women ran with inhuman agility across the many crossing beams of wood on high. The gulls called on above and circled like sea vultures. We had left the port of Vayleron and seen it disappear as a nothing more than a speck on the horizon. As if at all jumped out of very existence.

But what struck me most about any of it was that vivid red flag proudly shaking lose in the winds. At first you could not make out the black painted image on its limp form but with the winds of the seas bringing it to life, you could see two vicious and strange curved swords clash above a ram's head. The meaning was lost to me but it struck me as eye-catching either way. It must be a Captain's sigil of sorts—a house coat of arms.

"BRING ABOR' YA WORTHLESS URCHINS! HEAVE HO!" The captain roared above deck for the dozenth time in the past slither. His words were truly incomparable. I was sure these sailors had a language of their own making entirely...

"—FASTER LADS! TO JACOB'S LADDER! TO THE ORLOPS! LEST I FEED THE FISH BENEATH YA' BOOTS!" He shouted as he swung the great wheel of the ship sharply to the right whilst glancing at a small metallic object in his left hand.

Gods, we were at the whims of a strange drunk that relied of a toy for guidance. And who in Valhalla is Jacob?

"Is he still shouting out nonsense?" A perplexed John said coming up beside me.

I turned to him with my own confusion. "He keeps talking about this Jacob or feeding the sea life."

I looked at my companion more closely and saw he was now outfitted in sailor's garments. Never one to not adapt... A loose white shirt hung over his torso, dipping in a V at the neck that showed off his chest—

"Ugh. So, this is why you suddenly find yourself taking a liking to their clothing." I said pushing my hand into my face.

"What!" John exclaimed innocently. "It has gotten gods damned hot. I am in need of appropriate wear for our voyage."

"Does that need also include those female sailors you keep eyeing at every moment?" I asked with false sweetness.

John pushed my shoulder hard and I grinned back wickedly.

"Do not hold me accountable for how I look in this shirt. I would stare back too." He said with a villainous brow waggle.

"I do not get sea sickness but you may have just opened up a new possibility."

He scoffed at my jest and jutted a head over to a pair of women securing an intricate number of knots and ropes to—who knows...

"Give it two spans. They will be powerless to the charms of a man of land."

"I believe, they call us landlubbers. Something to do with inexperience." I said nonchalant.

"No lack of experience over here... I can do more with one finger—"

"John, for the love of the gods keep your thoughts as your own." I said quickly, wincing at the thought of him in that way.

He grinned at me broadly and slung an arm over my shoulder. The captain started roaring out more nonsense and cackling at his own words. It made us both giggle like children.