They Are Here

We watched from the window as scores of the king's men poured into Ravensbrooke on horse back. Their armour gleamed and their pikes and swords were held closely.

No sign of the treasury carriages. They must have pressed hard onto Vayleron to avoid any other chance for theft.

"I feel a public address coming..." Kaden muttered as he eyed the King's personal guard.

"I second that." John grunted as he pushed off from the wall and headed into the kitchen. "We needn't change our appearance or act out of place. It was dark when we rode from them. Plus our disguises had hidden our beautiful faces for the most part."

"Yes, you both did." I murmured as I continued to watch. "But the Captain knows my face. She knows me to be an imposter."

In the moment I spoke the words the very same Captain rode down the cobbled street with guards on either side. Her piercing blue eyes scanning the buildings around her. I sucked in a breath and pulled back from view. Of course she would not give up so easily. Humiliated by just three of us and making away with that much gold... It was not something a Captain could let slip.

"I will take an educated guess and say that is the very Captain that now strides past." The Valkyrie stated from near one of the windows. I dropped a quick nod to her and tried to calm my breathing against the wall.

"Yes, that does look like a woman scorned." The immortal glanced down at her nails. "I may have to end her." She said unconcerned.

"No!" I said quickly. Her silver eyes shot to mine with a brow raised. "We do not want any attention on ourselves while they are here." I explained.

"That is one reason. Or perhaps you have a soft spot for the blue-eyed Captain." She noted.

I shot the Valkyrie an incredulous look. Kaden cackled heartily. "Not likely. Tayah is not a fan of the King's loyal dogs." He chuckled crossing his arms. "And she prefers blondes." He smirked.

I felt my face heat. "I prefer those that are not buffoons." I growled at him. I was painfully aware of the blonde goddess stood not a foot away.

"Regardless. If this Captain becomes a threat, I will remove it." She said plainly.

I rolled my eyes. "It will not come to that. If they come knocking, you will pose as normal civilians enjoying your—"

"Normal?" John scoffed from the kitchen. "Normal and the four of us do not belong in the same realm."

Kaden spat out the water he was drinking and choked out a laugh.

Before I could shout at either of them a loud knock silenced us all. We looked at each other in shock before John shifted from his seat and went to answer the door. He obscured the man on the other side but I could tell it was one of the King's soldiers by the way he was gleaming.

"You are all requested to present yourselves in the town courtyard at mid sun span." He gruffly informed us.

John dropped him a nod. "Yes, sir of course. May I ask what the matter is?"

"That is none of your concern." He snapped briskly. With that he turned on his heel and swiftly made to knock on the next house. From the window I could see dozens of soldiers spanning out and doing the same.

"Yet you are making it my concern." John muttered to the door.

I groaned. "They truly are desperate."

"We should simply leave." The Valkyrie said, watching me closely with a frown. "I have no intention of wasting my time killing every single one of those metal incased fools."