Questions

John stared at me from the ground. His stubbled jaw was slack and his brown eyes wide under the light of the moon.

"Tayah..."

I took a breath and clenched my fists that still sparked. I closed my eyes and drew my focus into that of a calm ocean, a cliff, serenity—

The surge left me as quickly as it had filled me with godlike power. I dropped to my knees and took in two fistfuls of sand and leaves. I tightened them until my breathing evened and finally I looked to John.

"It is happening."

"The Valkyrie was not jesting then... you truly will become one of them." He murmured distantly.

It stabbed my heart slightly to be categorised into 'them', but after that display how could I blame him? I had just reduced the assassin's guild master to nothing more than dust. His existence wiped off the face of the realm without me even raising a blade—apart from the one that went through his leg.

"Your eyes were like hers." He said plainly. "Your arms... were covered in that power. I cannot decide if I want to run from you or kiss you." He said with a head shake trying to clear it.

I let out a humourless laugh.

"There is no running from anything anymore. Not for me." I sighed as I raked a hand through my disheveled plait and went to retrieve my new tri-arrowed crossbow. "The immortal warned me of this. That the power would come for me more quickly. I suppose I did not quite anticipate just how swiftly it would come back."

"We should return to the others. I am astounded they have not already come looking—"

"They too were under attack, John." I finished grimly thinking of why the guards had retreated in the first place.

He returned a quick glance of worry and nodded. "Best we hurry."

We ran silently through the night for the second time. Only our return was one of grim thoughts and uncertainty. If the attack was bad the immortal would have played a part. If not, Kaden would likely be in the centre of it ending lives.

I pushed my legs as hard as they could go, although that was not fast because of the toll the power had taken from me. Yes, the benefit of healing and pure destruction was paramount but drawing energy from above and using my body as a gateway was hardly something mortals were built for.

"Almost there!" John called over his shoulder. I could tell he sensed my weariness but he pushed on a few steps ahead with his sword held low.

We finally broke through the trees and met the soft sands of the beach. What we saw ahead however was the remnants of chaos. A large fire burnt in the centre of our camp where bodies were being thrown upon it.

We dropped into crouches and stuck to the shadowy tree line to avoid detection.

"Are they ours?" John whispered urgently.

"Can't make it out yet, we must draw close—"

A hand wrapped over my mouth before I could finish and I was yanked backwards into a solid body before I could even draw a blade. John was smothered by a colossal set of arms before he could spin his sword and my heart froze as I realised I would need to draw on my power twice in one night.

My captor tried to draw me away from the beach and into the shadows but I was about done with this game.

I snapped my fist closed and felt the surge of white hot power spark in it before I placed it over their hand firmly gripping my mouth. Instead of the burning and destruction I expected, the hand glowed with its own power in response as if calling back to it.