True Power

I was back in the realm of the unknown.

The surroundings were even more ridiculous than before... I would have to start taking note of what I drank before sleeping–John was clearing testing out hallucinogenic potions on me.

Purple lightning crashed all around me and large chunks of earth and rock drifted above me as if possessed or in a state of free fall. I walked over to the edge of my floating rock only to see a bottomless drop and more floating rocks.

I groaned. How long would I be trapped in this crazed dream for?

I began to pace. The crackling lightning and thunder was making me restless. Not to mention the fact that this realm was completely insane. As I walked to the far side once more I caught sight of a figure shrouded entirely in black. It was drifting on a rock above me and cocked its head in question. Before I got the chance to question it, it turned rapidly and sprinted off the edge of the rock.

I watched in shock as it jumped effortlessly and free fell over 20 feet before landing on a rock below in a crouch. Dust flew outwards from the impact and I heard a large crack that followed. The figure moved again and leapt higher right before the boulder shattered. It landed closer still on the next rock.

I frowned as it made one final leap and landed on my own piece of drifting earth. We watched each other silently. The thunder rumbled on behind us.

Then a pair of silver irises began to illuminate in the blackness of the heavy cloak. I flinched at the spectre and took a subconscious step back. I never retreated in any confrontation but this was different. This thing was altogether unearthly.

"Are you going to insult me as well?" I demanded. My curiosity and anxiety got the best of me.

It remained silent, giving nothing away.

I narrowed my eyes. "No? Perhaps you would like to tell me where I am once more or what in gods name you are?" I growled.

The figure shook its head slowly as if in disappointment before strolling leisurely towards me. I dropped into a fighting stance. "Tell me what you are." I snapped.

It continued to draw closer, completely unconcerned.

"Damn it. This is my dream and I'll be damned if I die in it again." I muttered before I willed something useful into my hand. To my complete surprise a sword as black as night appeared in my fist. 

The figure before me paused, appraising my weapon. Then it began to clap slowly. I carefully  locked eyes with the patronising demon. Then let out a dark chuckle.

"A grave error on your part, demon." I twirled it effortlessly between my hands before levelling it tip first at the figure. But that was not the stance of a victim... that was a predator.

The cloaked shroud dropped its hands to its sides and clenched them. Purple sparks erupted from them viciously and its eyes took on an all new level of silver glow. The power emanating from it made every nerve and hair on my body stand to attention.

"What–" I began.

Lightning shot out from both its hands in a heartbeat and shattered the sword in my hand. I jumped backwards until my heels were on the edge of our rock. Without thinking, I leapt off the edge and fell for seconds before I crunched into a rock below. I landed hard but took no injuries.

 This place did not obey any mortal laws...

But in that case, did that mean I did not have to abide by them here? I looked down at my hands once again and willed any form of power I had just witnessed into them. Nothing happened.