The Dark One

I was sharpening my sword under candle light when I heard footsteps approach my door.

If it was the Valkyrie yet again, I think I would close it. I was not in the mood for her lectures now. But instead of an exasperated immortal, a letter was pushed under the crack. It slid across the wood before stopping on a fur rug.

I frowned at the door and the retreat of steps.

I placed my sword back in its sheath before walking over to retrieve the curious gift. A navy seal with a roaring bear sigil glared up at me. I rolled my eyes and broke it unceremoniously.

But the contents was the last thing I expected this evening.

Captain Anselle of the Odian Bear Clan, formally requests you to dinner this night. Our vessel will near port side for crossing in the next few slithers. Do not be late.

The ink had still not fully dried. Curious.

I folded it shut and tossed it aside. A summoning. How pretentious. I would burn it and roll my eyes to the stars but I needed something from her first.

I went straight for my dagger belt and attached it loosely to my hip. Then I concealed a further four more blades across my legs and arms. The assassin guildmaster's cloak came next and I drew up the dark grey hood before catching my green eyes in the reflection of a shield. Still mortal. That was a good start.

This night would be for answers. The clan captain indeed had her own share of secrets if she wielded damandium blades...

I strode over to my door and opened it silently. I stepped out into the shadowed wooden hallway. I made it all of three steps before a figure materialised beside me with another hood drawn low.

I jumped half a foot and drew a blade up.

Silver eyes only glowed in response before I let out a large breath of air.

"Well this night plans to be entertaining." The immortal drawled from the darkness.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, trying to avoid disturbing the men in rooms nearby.

"Taking in the extravagant wooden sights." She said dripping sarcasm.

"You also received the invitation?" I summarised irritated.

"Honestly, mortal why else would I—"

"Fine." I breathed. "Let us just remember the goal here."

I headed for the steps and she followed close behind.

"I find out the story behind the weapons that do not belong here and you organise travel arrangements."

I growled as we ascended to the ships top deck. The moonlight cast the few sailors still up in a ghostly parlour. I spun to face her before she could take another step.

"If your goal is to piss her off and throw us from her ship, then yes. That is exactly what you should do, demi-god." I murmured angrily.

"Save your anger, Tayah. This is far more important than you know."

"Because she has a pair of swords?"

"Because she may have killed one of us." She growled intently—eyes burning brighter than the moon in the night.

I did not have an argument for that. So I instead cast my gaze out to where the black sailed ship drew closer to one side of our own ship. The waters were calm this night and our speed was lethargic so it was an easy transition to make.