Inn Sweet Inn

We hugged the crowds tightly soon after we left our horses at a large stable facility. Better to have our mounts lost among others like ourselves... I also heavily overpaid the owner to ensure that our grass eating companions were not identified as our horses. Merely merchant travel mounts.

"You cannot seriously think Xerxes will let us waltz back into his life—let alone his inn." John scoffed. We kept into a tight group as we waded though the busy street.

Vendors shouted prices for meats and spices as usual and the odd mercenary group lingered pretending to sharpen blades to look threatening. Kaden practically shouted out his laughter every time he saw a group. I had to elbow him sharply so he wouldn't draw their attention and pull us into a needless fight.

"Xerxes always puts on a show of a hard exterior, but really he is—"

"A man in a permanent mood." John finished for me.

Kaden chuckled beside me. "Well he did have to replace half of his first floor wing because of us."

"And a fireplace." John added with a grin.

"Not also forgetting the bedding—"

"That's enough!" I snapped. I sincerely did not need the details of our past painted for me yet again. Yes they were thrilling and enjoyable times but gods... not the place or time.

"You people really do not know the meaning of the word covert. Do you?" The valkyrie muttered on my right.

I shook my head giving her a glance that confirmed the obvious. She only kept her eyes on the many mortals around us. Her eyes were a flat grey at present and almost passable for human eyes at a glance.

"There is my favourite lodging!" Kaden called happily.

I snapped my attention off the goddess and onto the building ahead of us.

Well, Xerxes had clearly made improvements since our departure. I wonder if his success followed our leave... That did not need answering. We all tipped our heads back slightly to see the stone inn now had four floors and a beautifully crafted red tiled roof. The wooden window frames complemented the pale stone nicely and patrons streamed in and out of the venue as if it were the talk of the city.

John snorted.

"Something tells me Xerxes is very comfortable with our absence."

"Nonsense. The man loves me." I dismissed with a wave.

"Tayah... did he not try to impale you with a soup spoon last we were here?" Kaden asked with a frown.

"Yes but blunt force objects can hardly indicate hate. It was mild frustration." I said with a smirk.

The men chuckled as we approached and pushed open the heavy wooden door. The dining area was still cavernous and filled with hundreds of city dwellers. Music wove through the room and candlesticks lined the walls giving it a warm glow.

I grinned at the scene before moving swiftly towards the back room against the bar. But before I could open it a hand slammed the door shut in front of me. My brows shot up and I stepped back to see a tanned woman glaring death at me.

"You are not allowed back there." She stated simply.

I smirked giving her a once over arrogantly. "I am a friend of Xerxes, you need not—"

"And I'm King Edward." She snapped, clearly not buying it.

I sighed angrily. We didn't have time to play this game.